Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An appearance suggestion with an example.

An appearance suggestion with an example.

One problem is that it doesn't seem possible to get emails of replies to a specific thread without posting a message on the thread. Or am I missing something?

jerald, go to "Email Alerts" at the top of the front page

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/mailsetup.php
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

>That's not what it sounded like in the original post. I think it would be a good >change.

>--David A. Goldfarb, 2003-10-17 05:48:03

That is exactly what he wrote in the first posting--make a column for the author's name...

I still think it is a good idea...

>That's not what it sounded like in the original post. I think it would be a good change.

>--David A. Goldfarb, 2003-10-17 05:48:03

Here is the original post:

>>> A suggestion to forum appearance

Now the author of a thread is displayed immediately after the subject line. It would be much better to have a separate column for subject and author. (I'm refering to http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/)

--Severi Salminen, 2003-10-16 03:18 PM >>>

While the ideas are good, they will have to go to the end of the line. Current development priorities are:

<ol><li>Getting the moderators an easy way to categorize uncategorized threads<li>Moving the source code to a place where I'm not the sole maintainer (e.g. Sourceforge).</ol>

I see that last item as the answer to the above wish list ideas, since that will give others the opportunity to join in the development/maintenance fun and allow more speedy implementation of new features that folks want. To get there, I need to spend some time going over the current code to assure myself that there are no obvious security holes in the current version before going public with it. Also, there are the issues of deciding what license it should be placed under and other similar tasks (development guidelines, finding interested developers, etc).

Tom, another option might be to rebuff 'improvement' suggestions for a while and ask folks to be grateful for the non-commercial, perfectly functional site they've just been given for free. Why not just let it run? You've done quite enough volunteer work, and none of these change ideas will improve communication on the subject of LF photography one iota.

Tom, there is, of course, no hurry with this thing and I'd gladly contribute to program developing (well, depending on what language...) once it is possible. I'll keep the 'improved version' stored so I don't forget what was done.

And again: the forum works great even now - so no rush. But I allways think that there is no such thing as perfect: everything can be improved I think these small changes would improve the usability.

I like this proposed format, either version 1 or 2. I like to be able to see which threads are "cold" before checking them only to find no new responses.

Thanks for the time it took to work this out Severi.

DG

I managed to incorporate most of the ideas here into the latest minor update. I didn't like the menu being seperated into several chunks (as in Severi's 2nd version), so I left that as is.

Hope this helps with readability. I also hope I didn't break anything.

Enjoy.

2c worth

I liked the # of replies shown and the smaller type heading. Why waste space uneceserily expanding the headers. Identifiying dead or live threads is good value.

Thanks for the option of input.
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either daring adventure or nothing: Helen Keller.