Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which 600 mm?

Re: Which 600 mm?

[QUOTE=hiend61;812912]It seems that Fujinon 600 is a good performer. I like its great image circle, but I donīt know if it is as sharp and contrasty as an apo lens in the apo Nikkor/apo Ronar style (I own Apo Ronar 480 which I love) or a tele lens like the Apo Tele Xenar, that seems to be the best among tele designs.
    The problem with Sinar Copal Shutter is that I have no experience with them. They were not very popular in Spain and had a bad reputation about their reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    The Apo Tele Xenar, if cost isn't an issue, and especially if it is the latest version. You'll have the same "lots of bellows"bellows issue (if it is an issue) with non-teles whether it be the Artar, Fuji, or Apo Ronar.

Cheers, Steve
    Sorry for my bad English. I translated literally from Spanish. Bellows length is not a problem in my Sinar P2 cameras, but on location this can be a problem. The longest lens I use is the Apo Ronar 480 (The Apo Sinaron version) and I must be very carefull when I shot on location. Wind is a big problem.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    There is also the Zeiss Jena (barrel) or Docter (Copal 3) Apo-Germinar 600mm, similar to the Apo-Ronar and - Artar, but a 6 element construction.
    Hello, I have the Carl Zeiss Jena apo Germinar f9.0 barrel lens ... Got it off ebay for I think $89.00 + shipping

It's a great lens with tons of image circle but quite a bit larger then my Fuginon 600mm f11.0

Quote Originally Posted by hiend61 View Post
    Wind is a big problem.
    You want the best lens. You want no wind. Build a portable wall to block the wind

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    You want the best lens. You want no wind. Build a portable wall to block the wind
    I want the best lens of course. I have seen an ultra light tent used by mountaineers and I think it's very usable for avoiding wind effects.

I want the best lens of course. I have seen an ultra light tent used by mountaineers and I think it's very usable for avoiding wind effects.
    Cudos to you. That's the correct answer. In any way much, much more practical than building "a portable wall" (whatever that means) and trying to dance with it according to the wind. If you know you will shoot in windy weather then a lightweight tent is the most intelligent approach to take. You'll be surprised how much it will calm the picture taking process and yourself too.

Sharp and with good contrast. Sharpness is my main interest.
    Then the Fujinon 600 would be fine.

That's your portable wall then. Perfecto

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Then the Fujinon 600 would be fine.
    Great work Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    That's your portable wall then. Perfecto
    Mr. Ken Lee,
    I have taken the liberty to add to your comment above a simple note stating that a tent has usually 4 walls (or at least 3) not 1 only. You have deleted my comment as "rude". Can I respectfully ask you, what was seen by you as rude in my note? I find it incomprehensible especially if you consider that indeed, recommending to a fellow photographer building a portable wall can hardly be seen as a recommendation of putting up a tent (the good idea of the OP). Hope you will respectfully answer my question (if not for other reason at least so that I could avoid notes that hurts your sense of civility). Very respectfully, Once
    Last edited by Once; 5-Dec-2011 at 04:59. Reason: adding a respectful note