Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fungi

Fungi

There doesn't seem to be a thread for images of fungi, so I thought I would start one. The forests near me are full of beautiful fungi at this time of year - here is one from this morning;

Oudemansiella mucida, Oberwil

Sinar F, Schneider 180mm, Kodak TMax 100 / Rodinal 1:50

Let's see your LF images of fungi now!

Re: Fungi

David, absolutely beautiful tones!

Quote Originally Posted by David Hedley View Post
    There doesn't seem to be a thread for images of fungi, so I thought I would start one. The forests near me are full of beautiful fungi at this time of year - here is one from this morning;

Oudemansiella mucida, Oberwil

Sinar F, Schneider 180mm, Kodak TMax 100 / Rodinal 1:50

Let's see your LF images of fungi now!
    David, this is a beautiful shot! sharp and great tonal range too. I have been trying to learn a bit about "bellows factor" and wondered how you arrived at your exposure?

Hi, danno and stradibarrius - thanks. The bellows was extended just a little beyond the nominal focal length of the 180mm lense, so I added a 1/3 stop for exposure. I was trying to stick to N exposure and development if at all possible, in order to have greater flexibility in the tonal range of the negative, so I aimed to avoid reciprocity by having a shutter speed of 1s or less - hence the aperture was around f/22. A few weeks earlier, in the same forest, I'd used f/45, with exposure times of several seconds - these earlier shots seem to be a little more successful, despite the more complicated exposure and development - here is one example;

The only other difference is that the earlier negative was developed in PMK Pyro, not Rodinal. I'm not sure how significant this is.

Thanks for the info. This shot has great details as well.

Damn dog
    4x5 Astia

Spent nearly an hour trying to lay the focal plane along the moss and shroom. All of sudden while under the dark cloth, everything goes dark! What the heck? I pull my head out from the backend of the camera to find my dog sitting on the mushroom and blocking the light. I tried to place the mushroom back in the shot, but it is clearly broken. damn dog. Despite his shortcomings, he is normally a fine companion for photography.

A fine shot and a funny story.

Mushroom Cap Detail, Superior National Forest, Minnesota - Tachihara 4x5, Fujinon 135mm, Fuji Astia 100f QL converted to B&W, unrecorded exposure & bellows compensation

I like the Tolkien-esque shapes and colours, mitomac.

Very nice indeed, Joel - for some reason, this reminds me of Gursky's 'Dubai World I' photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by mitomac View Post
    Damn dog
    4x5 Astia

Spent nearly an hour trying to lay the focal plane along the moss and shroom. All of sudden while under the dark cloth, everything goes dark! What the heck? I pull my head out from the backend of the camera to find my dog sitting on the mushroom and blocking the light. I tried to place the mushroom back in the shot, but it is clearly broken. damn dog. Despite his shortcomings, he is normally a fine companion for photography.

I couldn't help but laugh when I read this! Still a good job.