Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Paul Strand photo, "Young Boy."

Re: Paul Strand photo, "Young Boy."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Paul Strand: Esaays on His Life and Work
    Print Making by Richard Benson, page 104 (emphasis mine)
    "Strand adopted two cameras, the 8x10 inch view camera and the 5x7 inch Graflex, and he used these two machines, without variation or exception, from roughly 1920 almost to 1960 ... this camera, now a 5x6 rather than a 5x7, used one lens only, a 12-inch Goerz Dagor"

George Eastman House - Paul Strand/Technique (emphasis mine)
    "In 1911, on his European trip, Strand used an Adams Idento with an Identoscope as a hand camera to produce 3¼ x 4¼ glass negatives. The contact positives were enlarged to 8 x 10 negatives and then prints made from these.

Following this period, Strand adopted two cameras, the 8 x 10 inch view camera (8 x 10" Korona view camera) and the 5 x 7 inch Graflex (4 x 5"? and 5 x 7" Graflex cameras), and he used them "without variation or exemption from roughly 1920 to 1960".

Strand always used a Graflex on a tripod to make instantaneous exposures. He put a mask on the camera back and the ground glass to alter the format to approximately 5 x 6 inches, which he felt, like 8 x 10, to possess the "right" proportion of a picture. This camera, now a 5 x 6, rather than a 5 x 7, used one lens only, a 12-inch Goerz Dagor.

In a later stage, Strand began to work with a roll-film camera in addition to the previous formats."

For what it's worth, I have several of his books - like Living Egypt, Tir A Mhurain, Un Paese - and from what I can tell, all the photos are either 5x6 or 8x10. The 5x6 images appear to have been made with a slightly long-focus lens, and the 8x10 images made with a normal lens. This would confirm the assertion that he only used a 300mm lens on those two cameras.
    My apologies, Ken.
    I away from home and my Paul Strand books, (a week in Key West, poor thing), and I just disremembered Richard Benson's quote.
    Old age and an honest mistake.
    Bill
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I stand on my statement about turning back the clock. Where on God's green earth are you going to find a 17 year old boy who must do what his pa pa said to do, against his will, angry or not.

Great story, it adds to the picture.
    Jim,

See my posted photo of my 17 year old son obeying his Papa. Less angry, perhaps, but it certainly wasn't his idea to stand outside in his pajamas.

In the context of this thread, the short essay that Michel Boujut wrote about the photograph three months before his death is interesting.

In English, I would render the title of his essay as The Photos are Watching Us. In the essay, Boujut argues that it is important to be true to the context and meaning of a photograph. The occasion for the essay was the decision by one of France's largest, reputable publishers to use Strand's photograph on the cover of a new novel by Phillipe Besson. Here is what the cover looks like: http://livre.fnac.com/a3101965/Phili...rmi-les-hommes

Boujut was offended by this. Noting that Besson is himself Charentais, meaning that he should have known better, Boujut wrote:

Comment et pourquoi la photo de Paul Strand a-t-elle atterri là ? Se posant comme un cheveu sur la soupe. Car le jeune homme du photographe n'a strictement rien à voir avec celui du romancier: ni par l'époque, ni par l'appartenance sociale, ni par le look. Détournement d'une image, l'icône réduite à une tête de gondole.

In English:

How and why did Strand's photograph wind up on the cover of this novel? It is completely out of place. The young man in the photograph has nothing to do with the main character of the novel: nothing to do with the era, the society and the style of the time. The image has been hijacked and turned into a marketing gimmick.*

Boujut proceeds to talk about a Robert Doisneau photograph and the disconnect between the circumstances under which it was taken and the way that it was interpreted and used. He doesn't name the photograph, but it is unquestionably the one below. It is called At the Café, Chez Fraysse, Rue de Seine, 1958.

Boujut's tale of this photograph is quite brief, but it led me to have a look on the internet, where I found an article by Professor Terry Barrett called Photographs and Contexts that tells the tale in more detail: http://www.terrybarrettosu.com/pdfs/...AndCont_97.pdf

Apparently, Doisneau happened to be at Café Fraysse on rue de Seine, noticed the man and the woman in the photograph and asked to take their picture. They agreed. Eventually, the photograph appeared in the popular magazine Le Point as part of a spread on Paris cafés. Then it got hijacked. Without Doisneau's consent, it was published in a brochure on the evils of alcohol abuse, and then in a French scandal sheet under the title "Prostitution in the Champs-Elysées". And that isn't all. New York's Museum of Modern Art owns a print of the photograph, and its Director of Photography, John Szarkowski, wrote a book called Looking at Photographs: 100 Pictures from the Collection of the Museum of Modern Art. In the book, he talks about the photograph thus:

Most photographers of the past generation have demonstrated unlimited sympathy for the victims of villainous or imperfect societies, but very little sympathy for, or even interest in, those who are afflicted by their own human frailty. Robert Doisneau is one of the few whose work has demonstrated that even in a time of large terrors, the ancient weaknesses and sweet venial sins of ordinary individuals have survived. On the basis of his pictures one would guess that Doisneau actually likes people, even as they really are.

I didn't get that quote from Professor Barrett's paper, where he quotes only a couple of phrases. I got it from a current, active blog about photography, where in a 2010 post it is described as a "fantastic insight", although the author of the blog isn't quite sure whether to accept it: http://one125.net/post/323018076/at-...de-seine-paris

What is the truth? The man in the photograph was a professor at France's most important School of Fine Arts, located not far from the café, and he and the woman agreed to let Doisneau photograph them. Boujut says that the man was so embarrassed before his wife and colleagues, not to mention ridiculed and hounded, that he sued. Boujut says that he lost the action. Barrett thinks that he won. Either way, he lost, and in Boujut's view, so did the photograph.

Anyway, what I find interesting is that François Julien-Labruyère and Michel Boujut, working from a different cultural and historical understanding, approach Strand's photograph quite differently from those of us who don't share that understanding. It is also striking that this photograph was known in France, apparently before Boujut ran down the story of how it was made, as Jeune homme en colère. It appears that in France it is obvious that it is a photograph of a young man showing a little anger, yet not a single person in this thread, myself included, put that interpretation on it. Do the French see something that we don't, or is their interpretation the result of the title, in French, telling them how to interpret it?

*People who read French will know that my translation avoids being literal regarding some idioms that work very well in French, but rather less well in English. The first two sentences, translated more literally, read: "How and why did Strand's photograph land there? It sits there like a hair in a bowl of soup". The word détournement has been appropriated into English, but I translated it, losing some of its richness of meaning - the word denotes not just hijacking, but subversion, a kind of plagiarism - because it is not yet common in English. And a tête de gondole, which I translate as a marketing gimmick, is more literally the French phrase for a display at the end of a store aisle where the sales people put items that they want to highlight/push; in other words, it is premium display space. Why "head of the gondola"? Maybe because a display running the length of an aisle, with its often curved ends, looks a little like a gondola.
    Last edited by r.e.; 8-Dec-2011 at 19:18.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

..."but for me the power is that Strand captured the defiant stare of a "Young Boy" who wished to be taken seriously as a man."

allow me to modify my interpretation...

... but for me the power is that Strand captured the defiant stare of a 'Young Boy" who wished to go fishing...

r.e.

Thank you for the additional insight into Boujut's essay...

"People who read French will know that my translation ignores some idioms that work very well in French, but rather less well in English"

It seems that is true of the 'translation' of the visual image into our own personal 'idioms' as well.

r.e.,

It'a an interesting topic. I disagree with Barrett's premise that, "The meaning of any photographic is highly dependent on the context in which it appears". If he'd used interpretation, or reading, in place of "meaning", and influenced, or colored, or mediated, in place of "highly dependent", I'd be more agreeable. I think we fall into a trap when we pretend an image has a meaning, instead of is read as, the former of which removes the viewer from the dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
    Thank you for the additional insight into Boujut's essay...
    I'm going to buy a copy of his book. Having now read a few of his short pieces on the internet, he appears to have been a pretty good writer with some interesting ideas. I'm enjoying the material that has come to light as a result of you finding out that the kid in the photo was indeed identified.

I also find the history of Doisneau's photograph, and the fact that Szarkowski's comments about it were quoted on a photography blog as recently as 10 months ago (see the edit to my post), fascinating. In Barrett's essay, he says that he relied for the story on a piece written by Gisèle Freund, who I didn't know about, but who sounds interesting in her own right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gisèle_Freund
    Last edited by r.e.; 8-Dec-2011 at 20:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    See my posted photo of my 17 year old son obeying his Papa. Less angry, perhaps, but it certainly wasn't his idea to stand outside in his pajamas.
    I'm willing to bet that that took a bit of cajoling. But he'll appreciate it in 20 years, right?

Jay, you've got to go to Paris. Just get on a plane and do it. Maybe not right now, though. Christmas is great there, except for the weather: cold, wet, windy. If you aren't into that (although frankly it may not be much different from Seattle), maybe wait for April/May June it can pour rain. July/August, avoid like the plague. Way too hot and way too many tourists.

r.e.,

My kids were very patient with me, truth be told.

Paris is in the plans, but Russia comes first- March or April, I think. Paris might have to wait until 2013. It will give me time to bone up on my French. It's probably too late for my Russian, but Julia makes a beautiful translator.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    Paris might have to wait until 2013. It will give me time to bone up on my French.
    When I first went to Paris, in about 1972, very few people spoke English. Now just about everybody, at least in the service business, does. It's really a matter of making an attempt, and showing respect/not being overbearing.

On my first trip to France, what saved me/gave me real access to the city, was that I was taken care of by a gentleman who co-wrote the Billie Holiday song Lover Man. He was a friend of my parents, an American serviceman from New York who went there during the war and decided to stay. That was a different era. These days, Paris is much more open, and getting by in English is very easy.

Whether Parisiennes, as distinct from the French generally, are a pain in the butt, well that's a different question. Like New Yorkers, they have rather a high opinion of themselves and their city. Lots of French people from outside Paris have about as much respect for Parisiennes as Americans who live outside New York have for New Yorkers

I intend to rely heavily on the generosity of my hosts, while making a sincere, if hopeless effort to demonstrate my admiration for their language and culture. The strategy has served me well elsewhere. I find my French improves when I drink heavily and keep my mouth stuffed with croissants. At least it seems that way to me.