Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Our own show?

Re: Our own show?

What a coincidence! I was just looking at that book last night while waiting for a carbon print to expose. I'd be all for a show but NY is just too far away and with all my son's hockey tournaments money would be a big issue. What about two shows? San Francisco would be more manageable for some of us out in the west.

I like the san Francisco Idea . Two shows

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicexplosion View Post
    would i be able to ship a print from australia?

but one print per artist divided by actual costs sounds fair,

so does a certain space allocation, and do what ever you want.

creative limitations are good, like a theme or only black and white, or certain size.

shows what ya got.

but i think the first one should be manned by volunteers, so it actually happens with no fighting over money/pay.

I am pretty sure there are people who also need something to do.

i think its a great idea to bring every one together, and also have some cameras on display so the public get an idea, and we may even get some recruits into the cult.
    My instinct is: send your prints to a friend who can take responsibility for them and hang them up for you - I'm sure if everyone decides to help out, lots of people from overseas can participate. and my second instinct is that whatever pay arrangements you make with them is your own business, if any. I would not encourage anyone to think of this as a serious money-making venture of any sort but as an experiment that may make some money a few shows from now

Quote Originally Posted by madmax12 View Post
    I like the san Francisco Idea . Two shows
    Cool - why not?

As for assigning spaces - some spaces will be better than others so would logically cost more. Some way of encouraging participation and coughing up the dough would be nice - maybe first-come, first pick of space. It has to be some way that doesn't leave a lot of room for bickering over space as no one would want to have to act as any sort of arbiter. Anyway I guess the first step is to get an idea of costs for different sorts of spaces. Any suggestions?

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

what about a traveling show, that can snow ball, collecting some and shedding some?

bickering in my experience from being a gallery manager is best avoided by using a curator, or some one person who decides what goes where, not based on $$$ but on the flow of works.

every artists wants the best spots, but the best works may sit better in a shady corner, that draws you away from the crowds, into contemplation.
    Last edited by cosmicexplosion; 29-Dec-2011 at 22:57. Reason: changed freudian slip
    through a glass darkly...

Kodak probably has some vacant floor space in Rochester!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

San Francisco is an excellent location on the west coast, but Freestyle has a gallery space in thier Hollywood store, and since most of us are customers, I wonder if they could be approached?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Anybody in the Houston area?

What about the Houston Center for Photography?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

being an idea born on this forum, i feel strongly that it should not be a u.s resident centered event,
    but an L>F forum event, which implies the international community. I am sorry if that conflicts with your world view.
    through a glass darkly...