Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own show?

Our own show?

So waaayyyy back in 2007, and with much thanks to Frank Petrino who did most of the actual work, we members of this forum published a book of our photographs called "A Larger View." If you remember, each of you sent me 2 photos, and I collected them and forwarded them to Frank who prepared them for book publication.

So here's another idea: why don't we have a showing of our work, organized by ourselves? It can't be so expensive to hire out a large-ish floor space somewhere (probably in a big city like NYC, ideally) and I think that would be the biggest expense. Photographers will be assigned a place to set up their displays, which will be entirely their own affair, and they'll pay a fee to cover the cost renting the facility. Then open the doors to the public and see what happens.

Yes yes I'm sure lots of people can come up with potential pitfalls. So instead lets talk about how it CAN be made to work.

Re: Our own show?

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    So waaayyyy back in 2007, and with much thanks to Frank Petrino who did most of the actual work, we members of this forum published a book of our photographs called "A Larger View." If you remember, each of you sent me 2 photos, and I collected them and forwarded them to Frank who prepared them for book publication.

So here's another idea: why don't we have a showing of our work, organized by ourselves? It can't be so expensive to hire out a large-ish floor space somewhere (probably in a big city like NYC, ideally) and I think that would be the biggest expense. Photographers will be assigned a place to set up their displays, which will be entirely their own affair, and they'll pay a fee to cover the cost renting the facility. Then open the doors to the public and see what happens.

Yes yes I'm sure lots of people can come up with potential pitfalls. So instead lets talk about how it CAN be made to work.
    I love the idea.

I think the idea has excellent potential and I would be interested in participating.
    I imagine the first steps would be to find out how much interest there is which would give you a better indication of what would be required for space.
    Would this be open to members who would not be able to attend personally. A trip to NYC to set up a couple of prints and another to remove them would likely be a deal breaker for most.
    I assume rental frames would be the way to go.

Sounds like fun

Sounds like fun, but I likely wouldn't be able to travel there.

In addition to renting, you'd have to hire someone to operate the space (lock, unlock, monitor, retail, chitchat, etc...)

Perhaps if it were promoted right, an existing compatible local institution(s) could host it for their own promotion.

Well, I suppose some people could attend themselves, and they can bring & set up their friend's stuff...
    Anyway, think of it as a vacation!

multiplex

there is always the agora gallery ..
    but that is like 6$K upfront ..

Scott Davis

There are some spaces here in DC that accept curatorial proposals on an annual or in some cases quarterly basis. If a decent proposal could be put together, it could be made to work at one of those spaces at little more than the cost of shipping the work to and from the gallery. The time frame would be most likely sometime in 2013, at a minimum. I can investigate further if there is interest.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    divided by, say, 20 people? How about a garage? or a parking lot?

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    divided by, say, 20 people? How about a garage? or a parking lot?

$300.00 each is a whole lot cheaper than two trips to NYC