Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Our own show?

Re: Our own show?

I'm in for either coast or both !
    I am on the left coast now, but I'm always looking
    for excuses to go back east ( from whence I came ).

What would the rules be? Print sizes, allowable technologies, mounting requirements, etc.

I'd be interested...it might actually motivate me to do some new work that's worth a damn.

But I also have some older work.

There may be others like me who've never contemplated something like this, and for whom this would be a growth experience. Might be nice for some of the experienced folks who have shown their works to be willing to provide a bit of mentoring to those who haven't. It's hard for people like me to get an honest appraisal of our work (including our display prints) and I'm a lousy judge of my own stuff.

Rick "who could use a goal right now" Denney

Instead of going for a large and expensive venue such as in NY or LA, why not consider a gallery is a smaller city? The best group exhibit in which I was included was Triple Exposure at the Taube Museum of Art in Minot, ND last year. It included Bruce Barnbaum, Bob Herbst, Adam Jahiel, Tillman Crane, Kerik Kouklis, Sandy King, David Fokos, Michael Smith, Paula Chamlee, Dan Smith, Ray McSavaney, Don Kirby, and a couple others I forget. It was truly, except for my possibly myself, an amazing exhibit and a great selection of contemporary landscape photographers. And it was all done in lil ol' North Dakota.

I know that a gallery in a smaller city limits potential sales (even in a large city the potential for sales is low), but that is offset by the small, if any, fee for the venue. And, as small cities are much more affordable than major metros, there would be a greater chance for folks getting together.

Just a thought.
    Chuck Kimmerle
    www.chuckkimmerle.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Kimmerle View Post
    Instead of going for a large and expensive venue such as in NY or LA, why not consider a gallery is a smaller city? The best group exhibit in which I was included was Triple Exposure at the Taube Museum of Art in Minot, ND last year. It included Bruce Barnbaum, Bob Herbst, Adam Jahiel, Tillman Crane, Kerik Kouklis, Sandy King, David Fokos, Michael Smith, Paula Chamlee, Dan Smith, Ray McSavaney, Don Kirby, and a couple others I forget. It was truly, except for my possibly myself, an amazing exhibit and a great selection of contemporary landscape photographers. And it was all done in lil ol' North Dakota.

Just a thought.
    That's a nice group of artists to be exhibiting with. I've met a couple and seen their skill. That would transcend location anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    What would the rules be? Print sizes, allowable technologies, mounting requirements, etc.

I'd be interested...it might actually motivate me to do some new work that's worth a damn.

But I also have some older work.

There may be others like me who've never contemplated something like this, and for whom this would be a growth experience. Might be nice for some of the experienced folks who have shown their works to be willing to provide a bit of mentoring to those who haven't. It's hard for people like me to get an honest appraisal of our work (including our display prints) and I'm a lousy judge of my own stuff.

Rick "who could use a goal right now" Denney
    I think the only "rule" would that you can fit it into your assigned space.

I would chose NYC, LA or SF. This should be a way of getting attention to your work and furthering your career, not a pat on the back to feel good. Two galleries on both sides of the country would be interesting to a lot of artminded people- maybe getting some relivent media coverage. There should be fifteen to twenty photographers maybe more if space is limited to one image per photographer, the cost needs to be doable at 300 per location. At 600 it will seperate those that have confidence they can sell work for more than 600, as opposed those that have doubts. Doing one image per photographer will make the show seemingly more exclusive.

There should also be a hanging fee included of say 25 dollar per locate to insure its done well. There should be an impartial adminstrator someone from the group that is liked and trusted "A Ken Lee for example- maybe Cyrus if he/or she was a bit better known Athough each photographer should chose his work perhaps having all the other photographers vote about a photographers selections would or could provide additional help for those uncertain. The money should be handled through the selected galleries and overseen by the adminstrator and maybe an elected second agent or panel. Just my 2 cents of additional thoughts.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    I would chose NYC, LA or SF. This should be a way of getting attention to your work and furthering your career, not a pat on the back to feel good. Two galleries on both sides of the country would be interesting to a lot of artminded people- maybe getting some relivent media coverage. There should be fifteen to twenty photographers maybe more if space is limited to one image per photographer, the cost needs to be doable at 300 per location. At 600 it will seperate those that have confidence they can sell work for more than 600, as opposed those that have doubts. Doing one image per photographer will make the show seemingly more exclusive.

There should also be a hanging fee included of say 25 dollar per locate to insure its done well. There should be an impartial adminstrator someone from the group that is liked and trusted "A Ken Lee for example- maybe Cyrus if he/or she was a bit better known Athough each photographer should chose his work perhaps having all the other photographers vote about a photographers selections would or could provide additional help for those uncertain. The money should be handled through the selected galleries and overseen by the adminstrator and maybe an elected second agent or panel. Just my 2 cents of additional thoughts.
    No way man! I am a neophyte LF photographer, and furthermore I DO NOT do well in hierarchical situations of any sort! I'm more for the "whatever floats your boat, man, it's all cool" school of photography and life in general so I'm not going to administrate to anyone. Bring yer photos, hang em up, kick back. The Dude Abides.

A $600 threshold would eliminate a lot of the beginners and less-than-hardcore... leaving how many participants? Would it be more than three? It's well past my comfort level for participating in a new, unproven venue.

I guess you need to decide whether it will be inclusive like the book, with images all over the place -- or classy and exclusive? My hunch is that this forum is more the latter.

It should probably grow organically, from a low-key social gathering to, if it gains momentum and the numbers increase, growing into a juried, well-done exhibit.

If everyone submitted work to guidelines and Cyrus wants to crate and ship, then each city could host the traveling exhibit for the cost of shipping, publicity, and space.

But Cyrus brought this up, let's get some work out of him ;-P

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

would i be able to ship a print from australia?

but one print per artist divided by actual costs sounds fair,

so does a certain space allocation, and do what ever you want.

creative limitations are good, like a theme or only black and white, or certain size.

shows what ya got.

but i think the first one should be manned by volunteers, so it actually happens with no fighting over money/pay.

I am pretty sure there are people who also need something to do.

i think its a great idea to bring every one together, and also have some cameras on display so the public get an idea, and we may even get some recruits into the cult.
    through a glass darkly...

Thanks for the mention of A Larger View. After looking into it I added it to my Christmas list. I have enjoyed flipping through the pictures today.

Edward

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    So waaayyyy back in 2007, and with much thanks to Frank Petrino who did most of the actual work, we members of this forum published a book of our photographs called "A Larger View." If you remember, each of you sent me 2 photos, and I collected them and forwarded them to Frank who prepared them for book publication.

So here's another idea: why don't we have a showing of our work, organized by ourselves? It can't be so expensive to hire out a large-ish floor space somewhere (probably in a big city like NYC, ideally) and I think that would be the biggest expense. Photographers will be assigned a place to set up their displays, which will be entirely their own affair, and they'll pay a fee to cover the cost renting the facility. Then open the doors to the public and see what happens.

Yes yes I'm sure lots of people can come up with potential pitfalls. So instead lets talk about how it CAN be made to work.