Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: something weird happening

something weird happening

sometimes but not all the time unified view says no results and the same for "todays posts" under quick links.

Also I just made a post which doesn't show under unified view but it does show under todays posts. Weird.

I'm guessing its a VBulletin cacheing thing because refreshing the page doesn't show it either.

p.s. its NOT posted in one of the unified view excluded galleries.

Re: something weird happening

So it now appears in the unified view so guessing again I'm thinking the query cache updates itself after an hour.

It was for a time or two a few days ago by now no new posts view again. I just dismiss it and get on with disfunctional technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    It was for a time or two a few days ago by now no new posts view again. I just dismiss it and get on with disfunctional technology.
    Most of these bulletin boards use database query cacheing to take the load off the database server which would otherwise get hammered from constant requests for the same data. I rekon its performance tuned to do it deliberately and the cache gets refreshed at some configurable interval. Every half hour or maybe longer.
    These damned computers, they ain't as real time as people would have you beleive. Especially when it comes to how long it takes a bank to clear funds into your account. But I digress. I'll learn to live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tlitody View Post
    sometimes but not all the time unified view says no results and the same for "todays posts" under quick links.

Also I just made a post which doesn't show under unified view but it does show under todays posts. Weird.

I'm guessing its a VBulletin cacheing thing because refreshing the page doesn't show it either.

p.s. its NOT posted in one of the unified view excluded galleries.
    Which browser are you using? IE9, Chrome, and iPod/iPhone browsers are displaying some incompatibilities with this version of vBulletin. Firefox , however, still works as expected.

IE9 64bit version on windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Which browser are you using? IE9, Chrome, and iPod/iPhone browsers are displaying some incompatibilities with this version of vBulletin. Firefox , however, still works as expected.
    I think you mean that this version of VBulletin is showing some incompatibilties with some of the more popular browsers.

I have the same problem with a new Windows 7 browser, my old Vista browser works fine. Can't open Unified View or Todays Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Isn't it a little odd to say that all these browsers are "displaying some incompatibilities with this version of vBulletin" when the reality is that the version of vBulletin used on this forum, namely 3.6.4, is five years old?

I fully understand that the people who run this forum are volunteering their time, and we are all grateful for that. But from the beginning of these problems, when you guys actually blamed Apple's operating system, the consistent refrain has been to blame the problems on Apple and the browsers instead of simply acknowledging that the version of vBulletin that is being used on this forum is badly outdated.

The following site, which also uses vBulletin, and that has much higher traffic, runs flawlessy on everything that I've used to access it; namely Windows, Lion, iPad, Safari, IE 9 and Chrome: http://advrider.com. Maybe because they are using version 3.8.5 instead of a version of vBulletin that was released in November of 2006.

I really do appreciate the efforts of the people who run this forum, but why don't you just say that the forum is being run on outmoded software that is behind current browsers and that eventually you will deal with it. That's a lot better, and more honest, than blaming everyone else.

I just about split a gut when Ken Lee said, quite some time ago at this point, that the problem was that Apple had suddenly come out with a new i.OS that was causing problems. There is a disconnect between what you guys keep saying about this and reality.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

r.e., it's just a matter of perspective. Software-wise, "compatibility" is, and always has been a backward-reaching concept. That is, the "compatibility" of new software is properly judged on whether it works properly with existing standards and design methods employed in existing software. Microsoft, which has never been overly concerned with external standards, decided to change the way their browser works with IE9 (earlier versions of IE worked fine here). Apple has never been concerned with standards at all, but rather, expects everyone to adopt the "Apple Way". Since the latest version of Firefox still works with older versions of vBulletin, such as that which we use currently, I simply think it's appropriate to point the compatibility finger at Microsoft and Apple (and, Google, since they appear to follow the Apple design model).

If, for example, BP came out with a new (let's say, cleaner burning, better mileage) gasoline that only ran in new, British-made cars, but not older Chevys and Fords, who would you criticize?

Nonetheless, as we've stated, we'll be upgrading the software here to the latest version of vBulletin, probably in the February time frame.