Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Velvia 50 revisited

Velvia 50 revisited

I'm still using Velvia as my primary film. I use e.i. 40.

Velvia 50 revisited

Like Jim, I also use Velvia 50 as my primary film and rate it at 40 ISO.

Velvia 50 revisited

I use both Velvia and Ektachrome films. I rate Velvia at 40 in 4x5 but prefer 50 for 35mm slides. Don't ask me, I just like it that way.

Velvia 50 revisited

Alan, I would say that pretty much verifies what Jerry what's-his-name was saying. Not all meters are calibrated the same. The difference is bourne out in your differing standards for 4x5 vs. 35mm.

Velvia 50 revisited

depends...if the lab you use is running process control--the aim is to get the standard process that will run everything more or less the same. There's a bit of room--half stop plus/minus for speed, about 10CCs for color. But on reading another post on this forum, someone mentioned running Velvia for 7:30 in the First Dev. This would be about a half stop push in the processor I run at work--which btw, runs quite a bit of Provia 100F and 64T. So what does it matter if one person rates it at 50 and runs it at 7:30? Only in comparison to a lab maybe that runs for 6 min using control strips....if you rate it at 32-40 and take it to a Q lab or an Oasis lab--both of which most likely use the same control strips--then the comparison is like 50 and a third to half stop push, or 32-40 and normal run. It's not really the same thing. Just like comparing sheet films to roll films is different because of the emulsion is probably from a different batch....

Velvia 50 revisited

FYI--here's a link to the Fuji-Hunt site for their CR56 process. There's a pdf chart here for the First Developer times for their lineup of films, although the newer emulsions (Velvia 100 etc) aren't listed. It doesn't matter....CR56 is Fuji's E6. The times are essentially the same as Kodak's. It makes no sense to have some *special* "E6" that requires a "standard" time that equates to a half-stop push for everyone else's E6. The industry standard is more or less Kodak control strips. So when it comes to E6 process times, it shouldn't really matter about the type of film if it's process E6.

http://www.fujihunt.com/fuji/fujihunt5.nsf/Entry?Openframeset&Frame=Main&src=/fuji/fujihunt5.nsf/Pagesbykey/chemicals?Opendocument