Thread: How to reduce?

HHChapman

How to reduce?

I've read of printers using enlargers to reduce negatives instead of enlarge. How is this done? The smallest image I can focus a 5x7" negative on printing paper with my 5x7 enlarger and Rodagon 210 mm lens is 5x7". If I go any smaller it won't focus. Wondering both why it won't focus below 1:1 and how to go smaller?
    Thank you!

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: How to reduce?

I have a reduction attachment for my Omega enlargers. It is a secondary bellows which fits into the lens carrier, and extends the lens downwards. I don't like to use it because it makes the enlarger very wobbly. It's like attaching a view camera to a lens carrier.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Try using a lens with a shorter focal length.

Depends on the enlarger, for instance on the Durst L1200 I had to purchase an extension tube for the lens panel.

If you let us know what kind of enlarger you have maybe someone can give you more specific advice.

Roger

Nicholas O. Lindan

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Shymanski View Post
    Try using a lens with a shorter focal length.
    Yup. And you might need to raise the easel on a box or something to get it closer to the lens.

A 50mm lens will give you a 35mm negative sized print, a 105mm lens will give a 6x9cm print, a 150mm will give a 3x5"/4x6" print.

If you really want to make small prints, reverse-mount a 28mm wide-angle lens (35mm format). In an Omega D2, it is no trick to make a print (from a 4x5 negative) that will easily fit into a photo locket the size of a fingernail.

I did this by using a close-up reversing ring to put the bayonet of a Nikon mount on the front, and made a "lensboard" by cutting the appropriate opening into a piece of mat board. (I've also done it by using a Series-type filter holder, trapping the mat board between the retaining ring and the holder; this is possibly a more practical way to go, but both techniques work.)

You will definitely need to elevate the easel, and the exposures will be very, very short unless you are using contact-speed paper.

HHChapman

Great information in your replies, thank you all.
    -Harlan