Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stiff flaps

Talking Stiff flaps

Hello friends,

When I am loading my film holders (modern, plastic, both 8x10 and 4x5) most of them have flaps which lie down nicely and let me slide the film in easily, whilst a few have very stiff/tight tape on the flaps, which makes them stand up rather than lie down. This makes those holders a b*tch to load and unload (plus I'm worried about scratching my film).

Visually it is impossible to distinguish the stiff from the loose. I have had no leaks with either (at least not at the flap end).

Would it be OK to score the tape gently with a knife? Would that help, or do I have to re-tape them? (In which case, what tape to you use?)
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

Re: Stiff flaps

not sure you want to score them. you will risk cutting through. re taping always leaves them feeling different. i have tried all kinds of tape but prefer the OEM stuff.

just hold the flap open with your other hand.

why not find the stiff ones and lay them on a table and tape open the flap for a night. this may loosen em up a bit.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

[QUOTE=eddie;810239]
    just hold the flap open with your other hand.
    QUOTE]

+1, this is what I do. I'm a righty so I use may left for this while inserting film with my right.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

This message has been deleted by Frank Petronio. Reason: bad pun"
    Gosh, I so very much want to know what was deleted. Right now I need a good laugh!

Regarding loose vs stiff flaps, I have holders that are one or the other. I, too, just hold the stifff ones open with my other hand when loading.

I got some new-old stock Lisco 8x10 holders a while back that had very stiff tape. With use they got better. What I do is to fold the tab all the way back and hold it there for a few minutes, then pick up the film to load and use both hands to center it in the slot and once it is centered, I reach down and hold the tab back with one had as I slide the film in with the other.

Thanks for all the tips.

Bob & Eddie; I usually hold the film with my right hand and have my left thumb and index fingers touching the little guide rails which makes loading very quick and easy (when the flaps lie down). If I use my left hand for the flap, I find the film sometimes loads above the guide rails (where the darkslide sits).

I'll try bending them back.

Thank you all!
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

And Frank, the thread title was an invitation for bad puns.

I think stiff flaps are an insufferable drain on my goodwill. Life is too short ot put up with even that moment of grief every time you use it.
    Black bookbinders tape as a replacement will smooth this glitch in your life and one roll will last forever. You may even decide that some flaps are too loose and replace those for loading nirvana

Bookbinders tape would be a superior product. Gaffers tape otoh leaves 'em stiff.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Uri A View Post
    If I use my left hand for the flap, I find the film sometimes loads above the guide rails (where the darkslide sits).
    That happened to me occasionally, until I realized that if I don't pull the edge of the dark slide back any further than the film lip, it doesn't happen anymore. Pulling it back any further provides no advantage and now it acts as an aid to where I do have to insert the film.