Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A dream 8x10" LF camera setup for environmental portraiture

A dream 8x10" LF camera setup for environmental portraiture

Hi there, I haven't been on here for some time, but the yearn for a dream 8x10" LF camera setup for environmental portraiture is getting stronger every day.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on a great LF camera outfit for environmental portraiture for personal portrait photography. Not much walking around, but may want the option to take it outdoors without much fuss.

Your input is much appreciated.

Re: A dream 8x10" LF camera setup for environmental portraiture

deardorff/14" commercial ektar

done and done

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole BM View Post
    ... but the yearn for a dream 8x10" LF camera setup for environmental portraiture is getting stronger every day.
    Nicole - took a quick look through your website, your work has many similarities to mine, and based upon these apparent similarities, I suspect that you will love 8x10 portraiture. I recommend that you consider a simple camera, e.g., a 8x10 Kodak 2-D, start with a single lens and handful of film holders. It gets simpler from there...

What DrTang said....a match made in heaven!

I would have to second the Deardorff nomination. It is sturdy and great to use. It handles some really big lenses. My favorite is a 15" Jamon Darlot Cone Centralisateur.

Andrew Moxom

Nicole... long time no speak!! Andy M (apug) here. Bill Schwab uses a Deardorff for his wetplate camera of choice... Works well for that and for sheet film. That said, I am not convinced a Deardorff is as sturdy as the newer Chamonix 8x10. The'Dorff's are also getting up in cost, and I think I would spend my money on a used Chamonix. There was one for sale on here actually. Weight wise, they are pretty light, and sturdy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole BM View Post
    Hi there, I haven't been on here for some time, but the yearn for a dream 8x10" LF camera setup for environmental portraiture is getting stronger every day.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on a great LF camera outfit for environmental portraiture for personal portrait photography. Not much walking around, but may want the option to take it outdoors without much fuss.

Your input is much appreciated.
    Are you shooting 4x5 now and, if so, what camera/lens(es)? If not, what format are you shooting and what focal length(s) do you use for your current environmental portraits? Finally, what kind of money do you want to spend?
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

I prefer sturdier cameras and tripods/stands so that I can be slightly more careless -- if I bump or fumble the whole contraption doesn't shift - like when I jam a film holder in a little too quickly. Then I can concentrate on the people instead of being too prissy and delicate around my "work-of-art" camera.

There are plenty of fine options in metal monorails that cost a fraction of what a fancy woodie will. Plus they are more expandable, versatile, have more movements, gears even.... Like a good old Sinar P or Norma, a solid Toyo or Cambo, a beautiful Linhof or Arca... even a rare Fatif like my friend Richard Brown is selling right here for peanuts.

Remember the weight and hassle of 8x10 is at least half the ancillary gear - the holders, etc.

It's interesting to see that Avedon used a 8x10 Deardorff outside but a Sinar P in the studio.

He also used the heaviest, largest Gitzo tripod inside or out, even if he only put a 20 oz Rollei on it.

Lachlan 717

Will you be using more than one lens? If not, have you considered one of the Gaoersi 8x10 point'n'shoot cameras?

If you're not going to be using movements (apart from rise), these can be a very easy/quick camera to use. Seems only to have 150mm lens cones, though.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

150mm in 8x10 is quite wide—21mm equivalent!