Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Scam - shipping to Europe

Possible Scam - shipping to Europe

Greetings all.

I was recently contacted, via email, with a ( on face value ) flattering request to purchase several prints. This individual ( from a very small European country ) wanted the prints for their library.

Price information was exchanged. The purchaser has agreed to give me a mastercard number to charge to ( prior to shipping ) and has given me their address.

When I asked about shipping, they insist that the best way is through something called Hush Delivery Service ( hushdelivery@hush.com ). Hush is one of the many anonymous email account operations out there.

I can find no information about this delivery service, nor can I find any listings or reference to this alleged library. Doing a googlemap or bing map search, the given address is apparently right next door to a national library location.

So, my question is, if they give me a valid mastercard # ( which I can run at my
    office ), what is my risk?

I hate looking at this in this way - but scammers are everywhere and I'd rather not be a victim if I can help it.

Regards,
    Terry
    www.terryhayden.com

Re: Possible Scam - shipping to Europe

This doesn't sound legitimate. My guess is that you'll get a stolen credit card # to charge the value of the prints and some extortionate "special delivery" charge. The money will be scammed from you via your fronted fees for the fictitious delivery service. Some time after you've paid, you'll get a charge back on the credit card fee.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Terry, there's a similar scam, but the destination is Asia, like Taiwan, Hong Kong, or China. It fits the same description as you've given. I don't remember the exact "gotcha," but you'll be eating the bill for something.

If anything in a transaction looks like it might be a scam, it very probably is. When I went answering a local ad for a vehicle, the guy tried to lead me to believe that the vehicle was in England, but it would be shipped to me. Right. The vehicle in question had actually been previously sold in California, and the information was copied from an online ad.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Sounds likely, yes. Scammers will hardly be after your photos, being too ignorant (up until last month they would probably have trashed a Gursky if it should have happened to trundle their way over a scam), but the "order from some overseas seller of some arbitrary product and purloin the fictitious advance shipping costs" scam is widespread.

But international telephone calls are cheaper than calls to a local mobile, and someone at the national library next door is bound to speak fluent English, so why don't you give them a call and ask about their supposed neighbour?

Sevo,

Yes, that occurred to me.

I got the general info email address for the National Library and sent them
    a note ( even cheaper than a phone call ).

I'm pretty much set on this being a scam - but I'm still curious on the motivation.

As much as I like my work, I can't see it being the real target.

Run and hide. For the shipping, they will ask for your credit card # (that's how they got the credit card number they will give you). So then they will have your name, credit card #, expiration date, and CVV code. With all of that, they will then start ordering all sorts of stuff on your credit card and/or sell the info on the black market.

The card they give you will be fraudulent, so the funds you collect will eventually be withdrawn from your bank account.

Just insist on shipping via USPS, FedEx or UPS (anything where you are paying a known entity) and watch them scramble.

Terry, with the greatest respect to your work, why would a small library in a very
    small country in Europe want to buy your prints, and then tell you that shipping should be arranged through an e-mail service?

You have this right, and Greg Miller has the reason. They want your I.D. and credit card info.

Which country?
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Like all those Russian Girl friends I thought I had, Damn Russians!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    If anything in a transaction looks like it might be a scam, it very probably is.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    Like all those Russian Girl friends I thought I had, Damn Russians!
    What, you mean Svetlana and Ivana were lying to me as well???<G>.

Yes, my ego would say yes, but my common sense says no way. I may push this a bit further and see what happens when I both insist on Fed-x and seeing scans of their ID and both sides of the Mastercard.

Turns out I have a friend who's sister lives 20 minutes away from this address as well. She has volunteered to check out the location. Once I mention that she may drop by it should get a reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hayden View Post
    Turns out I have a friend who's sister lives 20 minutes away from this address as well. She has volunteered to check out the location. Once I mention that she may drop by it should get a reaction.
    And you might mention that the friend's sister will drop by after she has finished her shift at the local police station...