Thread: Kodak 5x7 Enlarger and an Aristo EK-SP

Kodak 5x7 Enlarger and an Aristo EK-SP

Hey,

I was just given a Kodak 5x7 enlarger (looks like one of those Elwood? enlargers. The orig. lamp housing looks like a hair salon dryer from the 60s) and an Aristo cold light lamp.

The lamp says Aristo EK-SP but a google search (and forum search) offers me nothing. Looking inside I see that the lamp says W-55.

From what I've read, cold light heads produce more light as the exposure gets longer (to a certain point). This makes me think that there's a specific timer that I should obtain to compensate for that issue. But I'm not exactly sure where to look or what to look for.

Also, I seem to remember someting about needing to put a filter of some sort in front of the light source before I use a standard (ilford) filter set. Is this the case?

Thanks
    T

Re: Kodak 5x7 Enlarger and an Aristo EK-SP

Have you contacted Aristo?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Nope. Just got the head earlier today.

Been looking for info on the internets since they're probably closed today

Nicholas O. Lindan

Cold lights get brighter as they warm up. Some Aristo heads have heaters in them in an attempt to keep the lamp warm - the heater is kept plugged in throughout the darkroom session.

A 'compensating timer' can help with the warm-up issue.

An alternative is to leave the enlarger on for as long as possible, turning it off only to load or develop paper. Modern cold-light enlargers use a shutter to control exposure and leave the lamp on.

Older Aristo lamps produced a bluish 'actinic' light. Without filtration this can produce #3 - #4 grade contrast. Figure on using a #0 - #1 filter for normal printing. Some users just leave a yellow filter - 40Y CC has been mentioned - in the light path.

Quote Originally Posted by nolindan View Post
    Cold lights get brighter as they warm up. Some Aristo heads have heaters in them in an attempt to keep the lamp warm - the heater is kept plugged in throughout the darkroom session.

A 'compensating timer' can help with the warm-up issue.

An alternative is to leave the enlarger on for as long as possible, turning it off only to load or develop paper. Modern cold-light enlargers use a shutter to control exposure and leave the lamp on.

Older Aristo lamps produced a bluish 'actinic' light. Without filtration this can produce #3 - #4 grade contrast. Figure on using a #0 - #1 filter for normal printing. Some users just leave a yellow filter - 40Y CC has been mentioned - in the light path.
    Hey thanks for your response.

1) My aristo head has 2 plugs coming out of it. Does this mean that it has a heater built in?
    1.1) If I do have a heater in the head, does this mean that I don't need to purchase something like a metrolux and probe?

2) From what I can tell, this head has a daylight 5500k bulb. Does this = 'actinic' ?

Quote Originally Posted by false_Aesthetic View Post
    Hey thanks for your response.

1) My aristo head has 2 plugs coming out of it. Does this mean that it has a heater built in?
    1.1) If I do have a heater in the head, does this mean that I don't need to purchase something like a metrolux and probe?

2) From what I can tell, this head has a daylight 5500k bulb. Does this = 'actinic' ?
    1. Yes,the second cord is the heater. I plug mine in about an hour prior to use. The second one goes to the timer. You shouldn't need a Metrolux, at least I have never seen the need on this enlarger. I did use one on a different cold light.
    2. It is not actinic.

I have a beseler mx with blue green aristo 810 cold light. I run it with a metrolux unit with a probe in the head. I have home made voltage stabilizers for the tubes. Basically A big Zener diode with a fan for cooling. I do split grade printing with it. Oh yeah, I have modified zone 6 controllers, one for each tube.

This is the best enlarger ever. Get the metrolux and set it up right. Good luck.

Ted

Metrolux (orig version) ordered. Sent an email to the dude(s) that sell em to see if I can get a probe from them.

I sent Aristo an email. The lady that responded said that the only way I can tell if I need to drop a filter in front of the head is by testing. Isn't there another way? The light emitted looks very "white."

Once you get the lamp heated up with the heater, it will get dimmer when you turn it on as it gets hotter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    1. Yes,the second cord is the heater. I plug mine in about an hour prior to use. The second one goes to the timer. You shouldn't need a Metrolux, at least I have never seen the need on this enlarger. I did use one on a different cold light.
    2. It is not actinic.
    ...and don't forget to unplug the heater when your printing session is done.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org