Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac Mini Server QuadCore - Use as a Desktop?

Re: Mac Mini Server QuadCore - Use as a Desktop?

The monitor question is interesting, I was assuming getting a Thunderbolt 27" (or a 27" iMac to be honest, since the iMac will be upgraded this Spring and probably have great specs/value). But what other good editing monitors are out there that are a good value yet provide a better editing experience? That is, less - not more - expensive than the Mac monitor?

Joshua Tree, California

I have a NEC PA271 with the Spectraview option and it is excellent. No glossy screen either.

Bought refurbished directly from NEC

/www.necdisplay.com/category/desktop-monitors?Refurbished=1

Frank, don't have toooo big expectations for the iMac upgrade. I waited two years for them to release a quadcore model. I have no complaints whatsoever about my 27" quad imac (love it, frankly), but I think the mac mini idea sounds good. The ability to choose a better monitor could be essential..

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Is there still an NEC monitor available for under $500 that has a gamut of 95% of Adobe RGB '98?
    Depends on size. The one Kirk posted is a top quality monitor for cheap. With NEC be sure to budget for the calibration kit. It's what makes these monitors shine.

If you want a 27" one or bigger, you'll have go used. Or maybe something good will pop up in the refurbs.

LaCie is worth looking at too ... generally more expensive than the nearly identical NECs, but if a used deal comes along take a look.

I've read that Dell makes (or repackages) some very good monitors. They also have some bad ones and everything in between, so research carefully.

This site has the best reviews I've seen.

FYI ... if you're getting a wide gamut display and plan to use it with non color managed content (like office apps, or most of the web) on the Mac OS it will tend to oversaturate the colors and give the sense of a permanent acid trip. Make sure you get a monitor (like an NEC) that has an sRGB mode. You can switch in and out of it through the spectraview software. I just switch mine into Adobe RGB mode when I'm actually doing color-critical work, and don't spend much time on the web until I switch back out.

Paul, I have bought good refurbs from Lacie too. I'm currently using a 319 refub.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Do you know if the Spyder calibrator works with the NEC monitors or do you have to use their calibrator?

I believe you can use any of them but theirs has superior internal controls and will be more precise.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Here's NEC's supported hardware.

So for $1180 I can get a Mac Mini Server with a 2.0 Ghz Quad-Core i7 and two 750gb 7200 rpm drives that can be RAID 0. I can add 16 gb of OWC RAM myself and use this 22" NEC MultiSync P221W-BK for $400. Plus a keyboard. The current Mini still has FW800 and HDMI (convert to DVI) ports so I am not forced to used Thunderbolt until peripheral prices drop. So for about $2200 taxed and shipped, what's not to like?

The only thing I seem to be missing from an iMac is it would have a faster 3.0 Ghz processor.

One more question - does the Apple wireless keyboard work with the Mini Server or did they cripple that? I notice they do not offer a keyboard for it during checkout, which is strange considering they try to sell you everything else.

Ended up with the NEC MultiSync P221W-BK 22" for $349 from B&H, works fine with the MacBook Pro and Spyder 3 calibrator, very simple to set-up and calibrate. They are running a free hood promo too. (But I just registered and it says allow 12-16 weeks for fulfillment - really? 4 months! yikes - I hope it isn't just a sheet of folded Coroplast!)

Waiting until January 2 to order the Mini Server with RAID and 16 gb RAM, should be the most bang for the buck around.