Thread: Unloading and storing exposed film

Unloading and storing exposed film

Hi all,

I am new to the forum. I want to get into LF after many years of mainly MF, but I am not sure whether I am going to take the jump yet. I ordered a pinhole camera, some Toyo double film holders and some sheet film to experiment with, just to get a feeling of working with sheet film, scanning it etc.

I do not have the possibility to process my own film right now, so I am going to drop it off at the lab (especially my E6 and C41 of course). My question is: what is the best process for unloading and storing exposed sheet film?

I think I read that some people just have an old film box to put them in, but since I haven't exposed any sheet film yet, this is not an option for the first shoot. Alternatively, I can just drop off the film holders at the lab and get them back when the film is done, but then I can't shoot meanwhile.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!

Mc

Re: Unloading and storing exposed film

Hi, and welcome aboard.

You can deliver it to the lab in the film holders. They'll be returned with your processed film. You can always buy a couple of extra film holders.

After a couple of iterations of this you'll have an empty box to use. Be sure to keep the light-proof bag and any cardboard stiffeners that come with it.

Also, when giving film to a lab in a box, write a note telling them exactly what's in the box and how it's packed, like "ten sheets of Fuji Acros in one bag". Many labs use night-vision goggles so they can see what they're doing, but it doesn't hurt to tell them anyway.

PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a couple of empty boxes.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

use a changing tent. Shipping or risking damage to your new Toyo holders will be an expensive trip either way...

-Dan

Thanks the replies. I guess delivering the film holders for the first couple of shots is the best idea. I think I will try to keep all the boxes, so I can deliver the the correct film in the correct boxes to the lab.

@Leigh. Thanks for you generous offer. However, I am located in Denmark, so it's probably a long way to send a few boxes and expensive as well. But thanks, that is really nice of you.

@Dan. The lab is close to my home to I deliver my film directly. No shipping needed.

Quote Originally Posted by macmx View Post

@Dan. The lab is close to my home to I deliver my film directly. No shipping needed.
    I don't trust others with my film holders. Keeping them in good shape and dust free takes some diligence. I would go the film box route so you don't trash the holders. Keep the film boxes dust free and protected also.

I just put the exposed film in the triple box with the cardboard without the foil pack or plastic. I take care not to expose the boxes to bright light and I store them in another container for transport. So far no fogging.

Hi Mc, I'm in the same boat except that I got a Polaroid 120 rather than a pinhole to check out lf.

My plan is to get a used paper safe. (Someone please stop me if they're not light proof enough for film.) With all but one of the 5x4 sheets in the paper safe I then have packaging to send my first lf neg off to Boots the Chemist. ok maybe not Boots.

Can you not find a closet or some other area in your residence where you could unload the film at night and put it in a box? I processed 35mm film for several years by waiting until night-time, closing the blinds in a room, closing a closet door, and processing the film while sitting on the floor of the closet. I'm not suggesting that you process your sheet film that way though it certainly could be done. I'm just suggesting that you could unload your film and put it in a box that way. If at all possible I'd do that rather than handing film holders over to a lab.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

What's the usual way of sending sheet film to a lab?

unloaded from the holders(in the darkroom, or a changing bag/tent) and put in a 3-part film box. I tape it on all for sides, and clearly mark what is in the box, along with processing instructions.

Separate push/pull/cross process sheets into their own respective boxes, so they get processed correctly.

-Dan