Thread: TMax 100 and TMax R developer

TMax 100 and TMax R developer

Sorry to ask what is probably and obvious question for many - I am using a Jobo expert drum with TMax 100 with the TMax RS developer for the first time. I found an article by J. Sexton giving development times he uses with the rotary processor which calls for a normal development of 8 minutes at 75 F when rating the film at an EI of 64. The dilution is listed as 1:9 from the concentrate. The instructions with the developer call for a time of 5 minutes for sheet film in a rotary processor (I assume when rated at 100). Am I missing something here? Why is there such a big discrepancy? Is it that what he is calling a 1:9 dilution a further diluting-down of Kodak's working solution? Thanks for the help.

Two options spring to mind:

1) How old is the article? You need to be careful as TMax development times changed recently with the new production facilities. Is the article refering to the same TMax that you have data on? The Kodak site has details.

2) Sexton will have tested his dev time for his own system - to get things spot on, you need to do the same for yours; but from what I have read, Kodak's published dev times for TMax are closer to reality than most.

Sorry - can't help you with times for TMax 100 in RS developer, I use ID11.

The 1:9 is diluted further than the Kodak instruction version - in addition, in Johns version it is used as a 1-shot developer. I think Kodaks version is 1:4 but don't have the numbers in front of me. I use the same combination since ten years, after a workshop with John (Jobo CPP-2, speed seeting 3.5, T-Max 100, TMax RS 1:9 at 75°C). My "normal" (N) development time is actually 9 minutes (EI of 80). As mentioned by Bob, you have to calibrate for your own conditions. Also note that all these numbers are for the OLD T-Max 100; the new version, 100 TMAX, needs an even longer development time, a 20-30% increase.

Artie, That's exactly what I use and get good results. The 1:9 is the concentrate right out of the bottle. The actual times I use were published in the JOBO quarterly a few years back. The 8 minutes at EI 64 works well for normal negatives. For N+1 use 10.5 minutes and EI of 80. For N-1 it's 6.5 minutes and EI of 50.

The data I have from Kodak for rotary tube processing - sheet film development at the standard 1:4 development is listed as 5 minutes at 75 degrees F. The 1:9 dilution has no times less than 10 minutes at the same temp.

Sextons time of 8 minutes for an EI of 64 makes perfect sense. Seems to me to be nothing more than some bad data. Remember that Sexton uses a highly variable EI for + and - exposures that are a result of highly fine tuning his materials.

Great developer that is easy to dilute and use. The only negative is that when the A & B solutions are mixed, it has a relatively short shelf life.

Have fun with it and good luck!

John Sexton's times are based on using the 1+9 dilution - that is, you open up the bottle, pour the packet into the bottle (mixing part A with part B, which Kodak warn you not to do!), mix thoroughly, and then mix one part of that syrup with 9 parts of water. So, to make a liter of developer, you mix 100ml of syrup with 900ml of water, to make 1 liter of working strength developer.

Kodaks times are based on using the developer diluted at 1+4.

My times (also using a Jobo 3010 drum) are quite a bit longer than Sexton's.

I have mixed part A and part B for years, and don't see any diminished shelf life. I've used the developer (mixed this way) up to about 9 months after mixing, and haven't seen any ill effects.

I should have said, I dispense with part B entirely, just throw it away.

As an addendum, I was talking to a well known large format worker yesterday who says he always develops his HP5+ in TMax RS developer.

Finally I made a gif file of Sexton's recommendations for several other films and developers to post on my lab bboard. I'll send it to anyone who requests it. It makes a good starting point....To bad this bboard doesn't allow posting gifs.

Hi,

Same story here:

1+9 from the bottle (A+B mixed), expert drum 3010, old en new TMX: 9:30 development time.

I use a slight variation on the T-Max RS 1:9 theme. I pour the A into the B and then add water to make 1 gallon of 1:4 "stock". When preparing to develop, I then mix 1 part "stock" to 1 part water to get me to 1:9. I do this because I don't like measuring out small (100ml or less) amounts of A+B - its just easier to deal with the larger volumes (for me). I use a JOBO CPP-2 and 3005 drum to develop 8x10 T-Max @ 75 degrees. I cant remember the development time off the top of my head. I think its about 10.5 minutes for a 100 rating. Also, DO NOT THROW PART B AWAY!!!!

Thanks for all the responses - I'm going into the darkroom now to see how they'll come out. As I rated the film at 100 I'll probably go slightly over 10.5 minutes. Wish me luck!

Artie