Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod rental - Portland, OR

Tripod rental - Portland, OR

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a place that offers camera equipment (tripod+head) rental in Portland, OR. I will be there 12/1 - 12/7 and would like to do a 48 hour weekend rental of a tripod suitable for a 4x5 camera in the field (landscape shots, hiking, outdoors, etc.).

Alternatively, if there are any forum members here who might be willing to loan or rent a tripod, I am trustworthy, respectful of equipment and will return your equipment at the agreed time in the same condition it was provided. I am sure we can come to mutually acceptable terms.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Re: Tripod rental - Portland, OR

Pro Photo Supply. Google 'em. It is the best place in Portland.

Pro Photo for sure.

Thanks guys, looks like Pro Photo has some equipment that will work for me.

I'd would gladly loan you one but I only have one 4x5 tripod and it tends to see regular use.

Enjoy your time in Portland. It's a great place.

Thanks jcold. I want to get a nice shot of Mt. Hood. Not sure where the typical Ansel Adams-esque vistas are for this. In googling Hood images, I get the feeling it is not an intensively photographed subject. At least by people posting photos online.

I am bringing only one lens - a 58mm Super Angulon. I am visualizing a shot with interesting close foreground detail, and Hood in the background.

Hi Chassis,

I was in a similar situation last year as you find yourself today... except in Palm Springs.

My solution was to go on the Palm Springs CraigsList where I found a fairly stable tripod up for sale. The cost was about the same as renting one for a couple of days.

At the end of the trip... I came across a photography student in the field and gave it to him. This saved me from having to send it home.

Cheers,

PS: Can't speak to Mount Hood but don't pass up shooting at Multnomah Falls, Columbia River Gorge... very picturesque!
    Life in the fast lane!

Capocheny, great idea, I will look into the craigslist option.

This time of year, you will be lucky to see the mountain. It is visible from all around Portland in good weather, but a 58mm on a 4x5 will make it very, very small. It is intensively photographed, and has been for more than 100 years.

If you decide to drive up close to the mountain, tire chains may be required. Heavy snow the last couple of days. Do try to take the Columbia River Gorge scenic highway. Several waterfalls along the way, and a much more target-rich environment.

Peter Gomena

Thanks Peter. On a completely different thought - what is a recommended coastal/beach area that is "target rich"? I am an Easterner with an entry-level knowledge of the area. Where would I find a forest of significantly large (old growth) Douglas firs?