Thread: "Shrink Wrapping Matted Prints & Sales Bin"

"Shrink Wrapping Matted Prints & Sales Bin"

What are your suggestions/experiences/suggestons re: Shrink wrapping matted prints of various sizes, say from 14x18 up to 22x28's? What shrink wrapping techniques/material do you use? Do you rely on specific sized plastic bags for each sized matted print rather than shrink wrapping?

The intent is to display in bins my cumulative work which is beginning to be too massive as framed images. And offering matted prints in bins for customer persual is somewhat better than having my work stored in archival boxes in the closet.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Raymond

Re: "Shrink Wrapping Matted Prints & Sales Bin"

Clear bags are what you're looking for. I can't imagine using shrink wrap.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

What Mark suggests. Can be found at www.printfile.com. They have all kinds of archival stuff.

I use 1/4 inch foamcore archival board for a back stiffener. Then use archival corner mounts to hold the print to the foamcore. The envelopes you want are dead clear polypropylene, 3.2 mil of a size slightly larger than the print and the foamcore. Place the foamcore/print into the envelope and presto you have a stackable storage for prints that can be easily viewed by those who may want to buy.

If inkjets, allow four days for the ink to thoroughly dry before placing in polypro envelope. Other mediums I dunno. For B&W silver I wait about a week. Glossy Ilfochromes I don't store this way. For storage I actually tape archival tissue paper to the to the foamcore so the surface of the print is protected from lateral abrasion. But the Ilfochromes cannot be viewed unless removed from the envelope and the tissue lifted.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

I personally use these Crystal Clear bags from Archival Methods in packages of 100 - I just keep various sizes on hand for different mounts.

Cheers,
    Dan

another source www.framedestination.com

Clearbags display best. The ones with the adhesive on the envelope and not the flap, allow for image removal without the flap grabbing the surface of the print and potentially ruining it.

+1 bags (Crystal Clear ). The print can be removed relatively easily for customer inspection. I have never encountered "shrink wrapped" fine art prints.