Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: 6 years......with inkjet

Re: 6 years......with inkjet

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Kirk, I did not find anything rude in this criticism. Seems like a very normal "art school" critique to me. He has stated his opinion....nothing more nothing less. His choice of words may seem inflamatory but...it may just be a cultural difference. For what ever it may be worth, I happen to agree with him. The contrast, nay, the tonal range exibited in this print does push the limits. Maybe, that was your desire. I too find it a bit over the top.

Finally, may I suggest that you might be a little more reticent to excercise your moderation privelege on comments which are directed toward you. It looks bad on your part. I'll just leave it at that.
    How do you know that "the tonal range exhibited in this print does push the limits?" You haven't seen the print.

There's a major difference between an image displayed on a computer monitor, which is a back-lit, low-resolution device of approximately 100 ppi, and a print. And of course monitors aren't identical. What one person sees on his or her monitor isn't necessarily what others see on theirs. For those two reasons among others it's largely meaningless to critique the technical aspects of a photograph that's only been seen on a computer monitor.

Which was part of the problem with the "critique" in question. Another part was the use of unnecessarily rude, inflammatory terms such as saying one needed sunglasses to view the image. Apart from indicating ignorance (it didn't seem to occur to him that maybe he needed sunglasses because his monitor was set to factory specs, which typically are too bright for evaluating photographs), it was unnecessarily rude. It's easy enough to say an image looks too bright without saying one needs sunglasses to look at it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

never the less, I am entitled to my opinion - am I not?
    Let us not fight about such matters.
    Let the discourse return to the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    never the less, I am entitled to my opinion - am I not?
    Let us not fight about such matters.
    Let the discourse return to the subject.
    Oh yeah I completely agree with that. I was just voicing my opinion too.

...Mike

I read all three day's worth of Letoco's posts, and I get a sense that it is odd that he/she had only been a member for three days. The tone was of someone who has been here a while. And the fact that two of the only several threads posted on were challenging Kirk in various ways does at least hint something else was going on. Or perhaps the person was just a long time large format person who had never heard of this forum who likes to come on like a ton of bricks from day one. Either way, he/she was getting close to being on my star-studded ignore list of people who complain/criticize but never help honestly, defend a heartfelt opinion wisely and post images of their work at times.

How hard is it for a longtime member with a grudge to take on a fake name and start posting crap.
    I have my grudge with Kirk as well for something he dragged me into a year back.

I have my grudge with Kirk as well for something he dragged me into a year back.
    I'll drink to that!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"