Thread: Cambo Wide Viewfinder

Cambo Wide Viewfinder

I am wondering if anyone has used a viewfinder other than the Cambo version on the Cambo Wide.

In particular, can another manufacturers finder be used on the Cambo Wide w/ Schneider 65 with 4x5 format?

I remember seeing someone use a Contax 20mm finder on one of these with a 65mm lens.

Cambo Wide Viewfinder

Nice buy, by the way.

I have a similar camera - A Feurbringer Vistashift with a 55mm Apo-Grandagon, and I use my Voigtlander Heliar 15mm viewfinder. I would look at Cameraquest - they have a 15mm or a 21mm finder for $135. There is also an angle finder option that I love - it rotates for landscape or portrait.

Cambo Wide Viewfinder

the Cambo wide comes in two models, Cambo wide and Cambo wide DS. The first one was equiped either with a cambo viewfinder or with a Linhof viewfinder. I have owned a Cambo wide 58XL with a Cambo finder and mask for the 6x12 format. With the 65 you can use any viewfinder but I'd prefer the Linhof or the new Cambo viewfinder, the reason is that the angle of the finder is larger and so you can use masks which are more precise for the 4x5. In the case of my 58mmXL on 4x5 inches there are no masks for this lens/format combination and you have to use the whole "round" image of the viewfinder (if you have glasses you can't see everything.....). If you ever would want to mount a 47mm XL on the camera there is no chance you have a real idea of the image with the first cambo viewfinder. Some people have adapted viewfinders for 35mm cameras or DIY ones.

Cambo Wide Viewfinder

Thanks everyone for the info.

Since the Voightlander finders are relatively inexpensive and on Ebay...I think I will try one of those first. I think the 21 degree might work fairly well.

The CamboWide DS is pretty big and expensive once you purchase the mask. If I have problems with the Voightlander I could always go that route.

Thanks Mike

Cambo Wide Viewfinder

Like you I have SA 65mm and Cambo Wide. The old viewfinder mask for 65mm / 4x5 is virtually useless and I made my own from sheet plastic and part of a Marmite cap - a great improvement and prettier too.

I also got the Cambo Wide DS with 38mm. The new camera is bulkier, the 38mm lens hard to use well and very limiting for what I do, but the new WDS-580 finder is a big improvement in every way, with a huge leap in quality for finder and masks. The new finder, while somewhat dearer, is, I think, better value for money.

I don't know if you can get a WDS-580 65mm mask, as the lens wasn't offered for the new camera. Maybe contacting Cambo direct would be an option. An alternative would be to settle for a 58mm or 72mm mask, or filing the 58mm out to match a 65mm if you are handy.

Cambo Wide Viewfinder

FYI - Marmite is a wretched-tasting English concontion of vinegar and shoe polish. A small olive jar will yield a similar cap without enduring the same horrors.

Cambo Wide Viewfinder

Vinegar and shoe polish is an acquired taste. I quite like olives although my partner can't stand them. If some olive jars have a useful plastic cap I'll sneak some in.