Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pome, (with appologies to W.S. Gilbert)

Re: Pome, (with appologies to W.S. Gilbert)

Quote Originally Posted by kev curry View Post
    ...snobbery and distorted sense of superiority...they're generally the one's producing the same old stale uninspiring work...
    Who's a snob? Pot-kettle-black?

It's best to say nothing when one has nothing nice to say. I usually follow that advice, but, occasionally, recurring annoyances move me to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Who's a snob?
    Is it you? Do you too look down your nose at the mass digital crowd and have an inflated opinion of yourself because you carry a view camera?

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Or is it rap (as opposed to a rap).
    Most of it is c rap!

Steve.

Is it you? Do you too look down your nose at the mass digital crowd and have an inflated opinion of yourself because you carry a view camera?
    Not I. Don't even have a Web site. Is it you?

...the one's producing the same old stale uninspiring work... ...Just look at their web sites for evidence. They hardly share an artistic bone among them...
    People vary with respect to what inspires them and what they consider artistic. Not recognizing others' viewpoints as equally valid seems a very good illustration of snobbery.

Pome?

Is it you?
    No not me.

Not recognizing others' viewpoints as equally valid seems a very good illustration of snobbery.
    Well that depends on their view point.

The anti digital crowd always give me a smile too. Their snobbery and distorted sense of superiority are their most amusing traits. Ironically they're generally the one's producing the same old stale uninspiring work... exactly the type of stuff your mother in law photographs from the tourist view points with her supermarket digital but of course without the pretensions to being anything other than a happy snapper. Just look at their web sites for evidence. They hardly share an artistic bone among them. Just stuffy old middle age men and women much more concerned with their toys and equipment over anything else.
    I don't disagree about the staleness of a lot of LF images but i disagree about who it is that is the snobs.
    I often get this "ohh you still shot film jees" whether i carry my Hassy or a larger camera but obviously a film camera.
    I never disrespect a digital shooter and never make comments to anyone about camera choice but it is often coming from "Those who have seen the light"!

...Not recognizing others' viewpoints as equally valid seems a very good illustration of snobbery.
    ...Well that depends on their view point.
    No, their specific viewpoints don't matter. Failure to grasp this point confirms the snobbery.

Not recognizing others' viewpoints as equally valid seems a very good illustration of snobbery.
    View points that are patently absurd have no validity and therefore don't merit recognition, only opposition.

View points that are patently absurd have no validity and therefore don't merit recognition, only opposition.
    One person's "patently absurd" is another's "perfectly reasonable" viewpoint. Yet one more variation on how you've missed -- or deliberately refused to accept -- the point.

There are very few perspectives which qualify as patently absurd. Prohibitions against holding (or, more often, acting upon) those are usually codified in law. Otherwise, every outlook is equally valid. It is snobbish to believe one's own outlook superior to any other.

Something worth pondering is why someone who finds this forum so populated by "...stuffy old middle age men and women much more concerned with their toys and equipment over anything else..." bothers visiting here at all. To change the participants' outlooks? To disturb threads and the enjoyment of our host's generosity? Or simply as a run-of-the-mill troll?