Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detatched dark room musings...

Detatched dark room musings...

The biggest problem I have using my kid's bathroom for a darkroom is that I cannot fit my Elwood 8x10 enlarger in through the hall (its impossible to get it around the corners without a complete dismantle, which is too noisy and takes too long for the amount of time in the wee hours I have for lab work ) So the thought of a real live dedicated space is something I find attractive. Another plus is that I'd be able to bust Uncle Elwood out of enlarger jail (storage) and free up badly needed space.
    Framing in a corner in the garage would work nicely but thats not practical right now (don't ask---please don't ask) but I've thought that a prefab shed along the lines of a Tough Shed would be a good solution except none of the ones I've seen are tall enough to accomodate the Elwood
    One really great thing about Tough Sheds is they are considered "portable storage" by my town---no permits or paperwork required if the structure isn't visible from the street.
    It so happens I'm now in possession of four galvanized frozen food pallets which I used on the farm to keep a squeeze of alfalfa off the dirt. Each pallet is 3.5'x4' so when placed together I have a 8'x7' footprint on which to build my own design "not so tough shed"
    My next task is to lay out how everything should fit into the space. I print with trays and I'd like to be able to print as large as possible if I'm going to go through the work of building a shed for the job. As near as can tell, Uncle Elwood's footprint will take up 2.5'x3.5' so it woud be tight.
    Any suggestions? Thoughts? Recommendations?
    Or is this an impossible dream and I should saddle up Rosintante and abandon the notion?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Detatched dark room musings...

Unless your detached build has plumbing I would not bother.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Re: Detatched dark room musings...

Slightly more $ than a toughshed would be a locally made wooden "garden shed". You could have a slightly higher ceiling to accomodate the 8x10 enlarger. I could see using pallets to keep a shed off the ground, but wouldn't build with them.

Plumbing, Electrical and Insulation are all critical as is sealing in the dark. All of that points to locally built with a company that lets you sit down with their design team.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

A simple cinderblock foundation or small poured slab would be preferable to pallets. Keeps the bugs and critters away.

Dave Karp

For years, I had a darkroom without running water. Running water would be nice, but a darkroom without water is better than no darkroom at all. I am in John's situation now. I would be happy to have my old darkroom now!

Gets hot up there. Can you sir condition it?

As long as your'e musing, how about two more pallets.

Roger

Shipping-container?
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    Shipping-container?
    Might not have enough height for Uncle Elwood, but Jonh will have a better idea about that.

Roger

I've always thought it'd be fun to have shipping containers for outbuildings, but I'm sure my wife would not agree.