Thread: Outdated film....Facts please

Outdated film....Facts please

Can anyone tell me what the actual effects of using outdated film would be. I have a box of Kodak Portra 160 Readyloads, and a box of Ektachrome 100VS Readyloads, that are 1 year and 6 months outdated. Does anyone know if the effects will be obvious. I am going to shoot the 4x5 film regardless, because I did pay for it. Any help would be appreciated.

Probably no effect that you'll notice. There may be a slight color shift, or very slight loss of contrast. Film that close to its expiration date should be fine; if it was stored so poorly to have problems now, it was also shot long before its time was up...

The expirations dates on your film are no concern...Kodak and Fuji are conservative with their experation dates....

I have been shooting velvia, EPP, and Provia...some expired 1998, some in 2000 and the last 2001...and have had no ill effects what so ever.

I gave my friend some fujichrome 100D-probably expired in the early 1990's....no color shift and no contrast problems.

storage means a lot...if it was keep in the fridge or the freezer.....you can shoot 10 year out of date film with little or no ill effect.

Robert, it depends on how you have stored it. You will not see any differences if the film was stored in a freezer. Outdated slide film is generally more critical, because you may have to apply a (different) CC filter for critical applications (e.g. food). In my experience, it takes years of over storage before a CN-Film will get crossover-effects that cannot be filtered when printing. It takes even longer before color fading occurs (which on the other hand might be interesting for some applications). Speed loss is also not an issue with CN-Film. You can always overexpose it (with respect to the nominal setting) to compensate possible speed losses.

i bought some type 55 and type 57 film on ebay that was dated 1998. the type 57 has no contrast at all and is useless. the type 55 is as bad but doesn't have the amount of contrast a new packet would have.

Instant films don't have the potential to last as long as conventional films. I wouldn't buy outdated Polaroid.

The general guidelines are: B&W lasts longer than color, slow films do better than fast films, and neg films are less of a problem than slide films, because it is easy to correct small color shifts at the printing stage, and considering all that, cold storage is best.