Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Square Format with a 4x5 View Camera

Smile Re: Square Format with a 4x5 View Camera

Hi Kyle, I have been experimenting with shooting 4x4 with my 4x5 for a while now. And I quite enjoy using this format size when the subject dictates it. I have cut a dark slide down so that when I make an image it comes out square on the film as suggested already. I have had no problems with fogging of the film where the area is covered by the dark-slide. I would suggest that after you cut the slide that you use a very fine sandpaper to sand and round the edges of the slide. Then I would wash the slide with mild soap and water to make sure that there is no left over sand on the slide that could transfer to the inside of the holder when using your mask-slide. ...this makes for a smooth edge on the exposed film and allows the dark-slide to move in and out of the holder freely. Mask off the back of your camera and go for it, I have and it has been great looking at and printing SQUARES. (IT'S HIP TO BE SQUARE)

have fun Richard

Re: Square Format with a 4x5 View Camera

Quote Originally Posted by KyledeC View Post
    ...My question is, will light go underneath the edge of the darkslide and expose film?
    From my experience, no -- not significantly. Looking at my 4x10 negatives, I get a sharp shadow line from the darkslide, though granted it helps that the edge goes right down the middle. But even then, I usually center the lens on the center of the 4x10 negative so the cone of light is hitting the darkslide edge at an angle.

But I will have to look at some of my 4x10 negs later today -- some may have gotten some flare under the edge of the darkslide during long exposures with very bright areas right at the edge. One even sees this happening with roll film (35mm and 120). But in 95%+ of the times, I have sharp edges on the 4x10's.

Now I just need to get off my butt and cut down a darkslide so I can do 8x8 images. I prefer using the metal 8x10 darkslides (and I have a couple extra 11x14 metal darklides for making 5.5x14 too) as I have broken a modified darkslide made out the normal material out in the field (I neglected to provide adequate protection for it in my pack -- it was just tossed in with the film holders...the metal ones are much tougher!)

Vaughn

Re: Square Format with a 4x5 View Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I'm with Joanna - crop the screen expose the whole sheet of film. Just add two vertical grid lines.
    Me too.
    JB-Creative Imagery
    Jon Butler.

I prefer it in the dark.