Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Useful Tools for the Corinthian LF Photographer

Useful Tools for the Corinthian LF Photographer

Corinthian, if memory serves me correctly, can refer to those of us who putter around with our own gear("Corinthian" referred to yachtsmen who skippered thier own yachts instead of hiring captains as was popular back in the roaring 'teens and 20's) This morning, for example, I was putting the bevel on a baltic birch plywood lensboard. Because of the veneers, a small plane would have been a disaster, a rasp would be too coarse, so out came the dremel tool and within seconds the bevel was just right. Very useful. I have a 14" APO Artar in a dial set compur with a flange that refuses to be screwed into or out of any lensboard unless I use the No.2 Phillips bit that comes on a Swiss Army Knife---the "Tinker" model, if you're curious---and only that. Use a Craftsman or any other No.2 Phillips and dreadful things happen to the screw---brass or steel it makes no difference. Very weired. Anyway, it occured to me that these two tools have become neccessities in my photographic adventures with old LF cameras, just like that little stainless steel metric ruler with the sliding pocket clip most of us are so fond of. I was just wondering what tools you might have found uniquely helpful in dealing with your old, and maybe not so old photography equiptment?-----Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

There are a few tools that I find irreplaceable: a good quality dial calipers, a scalpel, “jewelers” screwdrivers, soft-jawed pliers, and a spanner-wrench.

I am not sure that "Corinthian" has positive connotations: I always though of it a bit like a debauched dilettante on a boat.

I'd say a shaper to accurately fashion the edge cuts, and then a nice dozuki to do the combination half-lap/mitre joints for light-tight corners. ;-)

A miniature Channel-Lock pliar has come in handy, but my most used accessory is my machinest's inspection mirror. Great for checking lens settings when that next step forward is a long way down!

The key Corinthian accessory is a Chrysler CorDOba!

Actually I like my Leatherman Micra.

This was not a setup, but it occurred to me that this tool is now my Corinthian Leatherman.

I guess now I need a slang dictionary too. I thought 'Corinthian' described a type of column found on Greek or Roman temples...

Google is a useful tool, too!

Co·rin·thi·an ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-rnth-n) adj. Of or relating to ancient Corinth or its people or culture. Architecture. Of or relating to the Corinthian order. Elegantly or elaborately ornate. Given to licentious and profligate luxury.

n. A native or inhabitant of Corinth. A luxury-loving person; a bon vivant. A wealthy amateur sportsman, especially an amateur yachtsman. Corinthians (used with a sing. verb) Abbr. Co or Cor. See table at Bible.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved. [Buy it]

corinthian

Co*rin"thi*an, n. A man of fashion given to pleasuring or sport; a fashionable man about town; esp., a man of means who drives his own horse, sails his own yacht, or the like.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

corinthian

Co*rin"thi*an (-an), a. 1. Of or relating to Corinth.

2. (Arch.) Of or pertaining to the Corinthian order of architecture, invented by the Greeks, but more commonly used by the Romans.

This is the lightest and most ornamental of the three orders used by the Greeks. --Parker.

3. Debauched in character or practice; impure. --Milton.

4. Of or pertaining to an amateur sailor or yachtsman; as, a corinthian race (one in which the contesting yachts must be manned by amateurs.)

corinthian

Co*rin"thi*an, n. 1. A native or inhabitant of Corinth.

2. A gay, licentious person. [Obs.]

corinthian

adj : (architecture) most ornate of the three orders of classical Greek architecture [ant: doric, ionic] n 1: a man devoted to the pursuit of pleasure [syn: playboy, man-about-town, Corinthian] 2: a resident of Corinth [syn: Corinthian]

The key Corinthian accessory is a Chrysler CorDOba!

Fine Corinthian Leather....

John, the second I saw Corinthian on this forum the first thought that popped into my head was Ricardo Montalban!!!

Back to your original question...

I have a small wood lathe, made in New Zealand, that is indespensible for making lens boards for my Speed Graphics, a wonder at turning down pipe fittings for BTZS tubes, will handle plastic for making custom washers for the color head of my enlarger, and about a million other jobs that need be done in my photographic equipment world.

tim in san jose