Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: darkroom classes in the Atlanta area???

darkroom classes in the Atlanta area???

I have been processing my own film for several years and have been printing for a little over a year but I have taught myself and would probably improve if I could take a class somewhere in the metro Atlanta area.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing here.

funkadelic

Re: darkroom classes in the Atlanta area???

I'm not sure if she's on here, but if you're on APUG, look up user "Ann". She's on the north side of town and works (or did last I knew) for a school's photography department. They've got a decent darkroom setup. I think the school is a high school, but they've got the darkroom. Maybe they offer things outside the normal school year, or maybe she knows of others that may offer a similar setup for adults.

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    I'm not sure if she's on here, but if you're on APUG, look up user "Ann". She's on the north side of town and works (or did last I knew) for a school's photography department. They've got a decent darkroom setup. I think the school is a high school, but they've got the darkroom. Maybe they offer things outside the normal school year, or maybe she knows of others that may offer a similar setup for adults.
    Ann Clancy is the individual you are referring too and the organization is the Spruill Center for the Arts.

http://www.spruillarts.org/

This is a community art center, which requires a membership to participate in the classes or pay an additional fee for class tuition. The education center is located in a former elementary school. Several years ago there were plans afoot to build a grand new education center but that seems to have fallen to the side.

For all practical purposes they are the only game in town for wet darkroom instruction.

The darkroom is very well equipped with quite a few Saunders LPL 4x5 enlargers. And there is a separate film processing section. I was an instructor there at one time and I'm not certain if Ann is still teaching.

Visit their website for detailed information.

Don Bryant

funkadelic

Thanks, Don! I couldn't recall her last name. I bought some gear from her a few years ago and drove down to pick it up. She offered to ship, but I used it as an excuse to party in Atlanta for a weekend. She is very nice and helpful in any questions you may have. My timing on a Saturday afternoon was good, so I got a Van Dyke demo when I met her at the school, as that was what they were doing when I arrived.
    Definitely worth looking up thanks to Don providing details.

Thanks for that, I know Ann and will contact her for schedules. The school is located in the Dunwoody area of Atlanta and I live on the east side almost to Athens...but you do what you have to do.
    The Lyndon House Arts Center in Athens has a beautiful darkroom and instructional area but it is not in use. I wish someone from UGA would teach a class there.

I will be taking a four day PS course in Atlanta sometime in the near future, If you have access to enlarger and filters I would consider a half/day or full/ day of split filter printing instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    I have been processing my own film for several years and have been printing for a little over a year but I have taught myself and would probably improve if I could take a class somewhere in the metro Atlanta area.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing here.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I will be taking a four day PS course in Atlanta sometime in the near future, If you have access to enlarger and filters I would consider a half/day or full/ day of split filter printing instruction.
    FYI, Ann is also a moderator on DPUG.ORG.

Don

FWIW I have signed up for the class that Ann teaches at Spruill Art Center in Dunwoody.

Just gonna mention Serenbe. http://serenbephotographycenter.com/

They are a bit out of the city but they have a very nice darkroom with color printing as well. I was a member for a while prior to building my own darkroom
    david

Hey David! Yeah I have heard good things about Senebe but the drive from Monroe to Palmetto is too long for me.