Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yosemite mid December?

Yosemite mid December?

I was at Yosemite about 40 years ago before my brain cells understood what to pay attention to. So I actually don't remember a thing.

What should I expect as to road conditions from the west? Is it going to be a safe bet getting in or is it subject to closure during any little snow storm?

Also, is it going to be packed like in the summer? Or just a handful of old guys with really big cameras?

Thanks guys
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Yosemite mid December?

Tim, plan on changing weather. You should get storms rolling in. Carry chains as you may need them. The valley is at 4,400 feet and if you get snow it may last for a while or not. The valley is ever changing. December is a great month to go. I may be there again in December.A lot less crowded and one of my favorite months to go. Everyone is thinking about the holidays and hence that park is less crowded. Unless that is people are spending Christmas in the park. Bottom line come prepared for any type of weather.

Thanks Jim,
    Not sure of my dates but perhaps we'll see you there. I wouldn't think you would be hard to spot, with all that shiny walnut hardware.

They'll ask at the gate if you have chains and will turn you back if you don't. 41 from Fresno can get very slick (and oh don't I know! I once got cited for off roading in a National park after flipping @ss over teakettle 70' down an embankment in a K5 GMC!)
    Make your room/cabin reservations early, keep your eyes on the weather forecasts, carry chains and be safe. Tent camping in the Valley in Winter can get miserable. It seems like all the cold sinks from the higher elevations and fills 'er up. The weather may also be warm and snowless down in the Valley. You never know.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks John,
    I cant believe they gave you a ticket for that. If you were upside down, I'd think that would be sledding , rather than off roading.
    I'm sorry to say that I have purchased a set of chains for the second leg of the trip, but I sure dont have any desire to take them out of the box.
    Any words of wisdom as to where to stay in the park? Going to have the wife along, and she's not too fond of lil creepy crawlers.

Tim, Yosemite Lodge is your best bet. It is not cheap and may be hard to get a room now. Try the heated tent cabins at curry Village. Camping but not too bad in the winter... with enough alcohol that is. Come in on 140 out of Merced and if it is clear you will have no problem. Just be ready for any conditions. There are a couple of motels just out side the park in El Portal and I forget the names but they are not very cheap either. Me... I stay in Camp 4 in the winter time. No one there and you stay in the Yosemite Lodge until time to go to bed!

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

If you are able too, watch the weather and get there during a storm. As the storm clears, the photo ops are everywhere. And they can last for days. Bring chains. Bring very warm clothing, you're from AZ! There's always plenty of people, but not like in summer. Find your own places. You will be in heaven.

Jeffery is right. Hope you get a storm. I was up there Veterans day weekend and WOW! Fog in the valley, clearing clouds, etc. etc. etc. Some of my best negatives to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim k View Post
    What should I expect as to road conditions from the west? Is it going to be a safe bet getting in or is it subject to closure during any little snow storm?
    Rarely is the Valley closed by snow, but downed trees and landslides can be another matter, particularly after wet, heavy snows. 140 is the surest bet, with 41 almost equally as passable. It can snow in the Valley (4000') with the general snow level as high as 5000', due to trapped pooling cold air.

Also, is it going to be packed like in the summer?
    Not a chance, blessedly quiet in the mornings, and after snows can actually feel deserted. My favorite time.

Or just a handful of old guys with really big cameras?
    Precisely. And if they are standing with tripod in the middle of the narrow, snow burmed roads, you get to legally run them over for being so f-----g dumb and inconsiderate. (caveat – I only play a lawyer on TV)

It is actually required that vehicles (even 4WD) carry tire chains on California mountain roads in the winter. It is not required that drivers have the good sense to use them or the skills to drive icy roads. If you slide into a burm and block the road or hit me going the opposite direction, you deserve the biggest fine assessable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Tim, Yosemite Lodge is your best bet. It is not cheap and may be hard to get a room now. Try the heated tent cabins at curry Village. Camping but not too bad in the winter... with enough alcohol that is. Come in on 140 out of Merced and if it is clear you will have no problem. Just be ready for any conditions. There are a couple of motels just out side the park in El Portal and I forget the names but they are not very cheap either. Me... I stay in Camp 4 in the winter time. No one there and you stay in the Yosemite Lodge until time to go to bed!
    I dont think there is enough alcohol in California to get my wife to agree to a tent. We do prefer to stay in the park, so will check out the lodge.