Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ebony 45S(U) questions re:6x17 and Ebony 617S

Re: Ebony 45S(U) questions re:6x17 and Ebony 617S

Ok, its looking like a Shen Hao 617-A is in my future, now I'm wondering if the lenses I currently own for my 4x5 are going to cut it:

Schneider APO Symmar L 210/5.6
    https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...D=164&IID=1832

Schneider Super-Symmar XL 80/4.5
    https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...D=169&IID=1838

Schneider HM 120/5.6
    https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...D=167&IID=1845

They all say 'ideal for 4x5' but mention they will work on larger formats, what image-circle sizes should I be looking for?

Thanks,
    Sam

EDIT: I guess the obvious conclusion is 60x170mm means I need an image circle of at least 180mm so my lenses are 320, 210, 250mm respectively so I guess I'm good at f22 but what about wide open, how do you determine that?
    Where you should be hosting your photos: www.SmugMug.com

Richard Brown

I have an ebony 45S for sale on the forum if you decide to get a shen hao back. I have seen the shen hao cameras and really prefer the ebony's quality which you do pay for.
    I also have a Canham 5x7 with both backs and the canham 617 back but am not selling it... still have to get the time to go out and do some shooting with it (snowing up at Lake Louise so off i go this week). Used canhams sell for around $2000 but the pano back is $1200+ so be prepared. I can't see getting a dedicated 617 camera as you lose the chance to shoot 4x5. And I did consider the non folding shen hao... sooner spend more money for better quality.
    Good luck with your decision and write with any questions....Cheers
    Richard

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by richard brown View Post
    And I did consider the non folding shen hao... sooner spend more money for better quality.
    Richard,

Care to elaborate on what's deficient with the Shen Hao?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Sizam View Post
    I just figured if I could find a used Ebony then what the hell, I'll get that and can sell it later.

Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    I have not seen a used Ebony 617 in the last 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post

Hah Deadpan,
    the problem there is in US $ thats about $8000, add on a couple hundred more for shipping and insurance and I may as well buy a new one from Badger at $8900, apparently they're more expensive to start with in the UK is part of the problem.

Richard,
    Your 45S in the forum is what prompted this post, unfortunately it sounds like a 4x5 isn't an ideal platform for 6x17 photography with longer lenses and I would like to be able to use a 300mm lens.

I'd pick up a Canham 5x7 with 617 back in a heartbeat (I've owned a Canham 8x10 and it was wonderful) but I'm drawn to the simplicity of having a dedicated 617 camera with its flipdown GG and smaller size. The non-folding is what I'm looking at and if another company offered something at even 2x+ the price ($4000+) that offered some sort of advantage I'd consider it (even if some of it is just attractiveness), but the Ebony at over 5x the price I can't justify.

Sam

I'd love a 6x17 camera but am put off by the fact that I wouldn't be able to optically enlarge the negs on my 4x5 enlarger...

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    I'd love a 6x17 camera but am put off by the fact that I wouldn't be able to optically enlarge the negs on my 4x5 enlarger...
    A valid concern, fortunately for me its going straight into my scanner