Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

Re: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

Oso Flaco is a fairly long walk and then a steep hike up a soft dune to get to the photogenic places... I access the Oceano Dunes on the very northern end.

If you stay at the RV park that is actually IN the dunes near the Arroyo Grande Creek you can literally step out of your RV into a fairly photogenic scene (footprints permitting) My photos were shot a fairly short distance from there.
    Robert Oliver

Landscape/Still Life

Robert

Thanks for chiming in and your images look tranquil and looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting some new people!

Forest I be very happy that you will be able to make it your appearance is always an interesting and fun time!

Also the quad idea has been passed around in the past about using them to get to far almost unreachable places especially for ULF shooters!

I will look into renting a few if people are interested?

I will be writing up a schedule of some sorts for the get together and hopefully some demonstrations on an alternative process or two!

In the next few months I'll be working on some Salt Prints to bring to share if my tests come out good (pray I do) lol

I'm also looking into a place to use in the area so everyone can share their portfolios

Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving and if I can I'll talk to Per's widow about purchasing one of his prints and raffling it off but no guarantees!

Thanks

Ted

please let the ideas keep coming

Perhaps you "REAL" camera guys could look into renting a beach wheel chair... for dragging all of that stuff back into the dunes. you wouldn't be able to take it up or down the steep stuff, but it might be an alternative to Per's jog stroller setup.

I know they rent them in Pismo Beach... probably here. http://www.wheelfunrentals.com

I've been thinking about getting something like this for my beach portrait shoots (small format) but would probably be pretty cool for you big camera guys.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=SPM4150325701
    Robert Oliver

A meeting place to share photo's and demonstrations of carbon would be great even if for one day.

Mike

I believe I need to go to this one . Hope more details to follow for places to stay and such thank you for setting this up. I think I look into renting a quad to haul stuff around. Per and I had talked about that at Tonopah. Must meet my obligation craig

Craig since Per is no longer with us,you could rent me one of those quad car thingy,that would release you of all obligation.
    Mike

Landscape/Still Life

Craig,

I second Mikes quote and I think Oceano would be a perfect tryout so you know how it will work in Tonopah Dunes! Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oliver View Post
    Oso Flaco is a fairly long walk and then a steep hike up a soft dune to get to the photogenic places... I access the Oceano Dunes on the very northern end.

If you stay at the RV park that is actually IN the dunes near the Arroyo Grande Creek you can literally step out of your RV into a fairly photogenic scene (footprints permitting) My photos were shot a fairly short distance from there.
    I'm so impressed, Robert by you intimate feeling for the dunes and advocacy of the national heritage of landscapes we can leave for others to enjoy in future generations Keep it up. In the area you are considering, are there also motels or is this just a camping/caravan site nearby. BTW, your own pictures are regal and impressive! Can't believe how you can sell a carbon print for $60!!!!! You're very generous sharing!

Does one need a special permit or meet certain standards to use large wheeled carts etc? Aren't there rules or else one might have 4-wheelers wreck the landscape!

I really would love to have some cart with big wheels as it can be hard to schlepp a large camera and lenses in the later years, LOL!

Asher

Landscape/Still Life

I found this ATV rental place might be good for some of us.... http://www.bjsatvrentals.com/index.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Stoddard View Post
    I found this ATV rental place might be good for some of us.... http://www.bjsatvrentals.com/index.cfm
    Ted,

So how does one hold the gear? Just backpack? There seems to be no rack!

Asher