Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

Re: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    Hi Asher,

Thanks for refunding the deposit and all the hard work you did getting the house and workshop organized. A fun time was had by all who attended. I talked to Ted the other day and he made it home safely. I think he is just very busy and has not had time to get back to you.
    Brian,

Thanks for the kind words and for sharing your interesting prints. Yes, we had a great time. The best is yet to come with all the new prints we'll see. I'm also happy to hear Ted's fine and nothing untoward happened. I thought perhaps he had an accident on the way home and was stuck in some hospital. When someone who speaks to you all times of day and night goes of the map, it's worrying. So alls well that ends well!

Asher

Craig,

You can PM me instead!
    Quote Originally Posted by madmax12 View Post
    I think vocalizing your problems without talking to the person is not a good thing to do. Talk with him first.
    Agreed. Totally, but then what? There was no one to talk to!

Quote Originally Posted by madmax12 View Post
    No one ever knows what other problems people are having until you walk in there shoes.
    I'm very kind, Craig. I assure you, I did do everything needed and felt bad about posting. I will not walk in his shoes; that's not my path nor yours, but I do empathize and helped him when he asked.

I hope this closes the matter in public.

Asher

The first evening we went to the dunes at sunset and the experience was every bit as wonderful as we'd hoped for.

The next dawn, the light was magnificent but I stayed back in order to shoot the two models which was a good idea as they only stayed for 1 day and I got the best natural light outside with a friend holding a reflector and I stood on a table to get my shots. The pictures are being posted here and have mild nudity, NSFW.

That evening, Kim Weston gave a presentation of the famous prints of his grandfather Edward Weston and his uncle Brett.

Asher Kelman: Kim Weston Showing "The Weston's Legacy"

It was so valuable to see at such close distances these meticulous prints. The impression is far better than seeing them behind museum glass or reprinted in a book. I know all the pictures, but Kim's presentation was a treat. So this was an atmosphere where one could learn from everyone. More pictures here.

Asher

I enjoyed Shell Beach so much that this morning I made the drive again and as I speak I'm sitting on the rocks right where I had spied a potential sunrise shot, and it is just as awesome of a shot as I thought it might be. More to come later.

Michael - I had remembered something about selenium intensification from "The Negative". I'm going to give that a try soon.

Meanwhile - Here's another from about the same position but in color, Printed on Endura Metallic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img003.jpg  

The color one looks fine to me , Its really hard to judge prints on my monitor especially color my screen is not calibrated very good . If you use the selenium toner try it first on a neg that is not to important to check out results. You can increase the temp. of selenium to about 80 deg. F. to spend up toning, but it gets pretty stinkie so use it in an open area and where gloves when handling it. Make sure you put the neg in a bath of hypo clear be fore and after toning for a few minutes. And constant mild agitation in while in the toner.

Mike

Akaa, I was thinking some more about Selenium toning of neg , the selenium is mainly used for adding density for a thin neg to help bring out the shadows but does not necessarily rise contrast. So it might not be as helpful as I first thought, their are other intensifiers that will rise contrast and also making contrast masks are other options. However you can selenium tone the print that might help.

Mike

Here's the area that I spotted last Sunday during the Per Gathering.

Here’s a cell phone snapshot of what it’s like at the vantage point that I envisioned last week. I drove up to Shell Beach yesterday and set up for a sunset from the my new vantage point. I was able to make one exposure and wanted to wait another 20 minutes to make a second exposure, but the tides started coming in and engulfed most of the rock formations in my foreground and made it very difficult for me to get back to the beach without swimming! This is now one of my favorite beaches in California.

-DP

Saratoga, CA

Dan, I hope you got the shot!

Mr.Gale

way to visualize and get the shot taking risks have there own rewards