Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

Re: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

David,

So you will stay with us? Let us know ASAP so we can fit you in.

Also, guys with a worried wife, get permission for photographing for the figure study shoot. I promise it will be family friendly, once you can accept that she has no clothes, LOL. This is going to be a very tasteful, magnificently beautiful, (and respectful but unique), opportunity to compose and see someone respond to your direction in a creative way. The model will be screened off so that we won't offend the unprepared!

However, if this is not your thing, bypass it and then there will be still life and plenty of other scenes around to photograph on your own and, of course the presentations and the several shoots in the dunes Dusk and Dawn should be spectacular.

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    David,

So you will stay with us? Let us know ASAP so we can fit you in.

Also, guys with a worried wife, get permission for photographing for the figure study shoot. I promise it will be family friendly, once you can accept that she has no clothes, LOL. This is going to be a very tasteful, magnificently beautiful, (and respectful but unique), opportunity to compose and see someone respond to your direction in a creative way. The model will be screened off so that we won't offend the unprepared!

However, if this is not your thing, bypass it and then there will be still life and plenty of other scenes around to photograph on your own and, of course the presentations and the several shoots in the dunes Dusk and Dawn should be spectacular.

Asher
    I sent an email concerning your question. As for my schedule of shooting, I believe I will be sticking with landscapes and dunes as well as maybe some still life stuff. I really don't have much of an interest in the model(s).

David

Quote Originally Posted by seabee1999 View Post
    I sent an email concerning your question. As for my schedule of shooting, I believe I will be sticking with landscapes and dunes as well as maybe some still life stuff. I really don't have much of an interest in the model(s).

David
    Well, David! You're going to be very busy. Lot's of wonderful dunes, still life and great bunch of guys here to renew friendships with and see in person!

There should be exceptional prints to enjoy too.

Asher

Hey All! Do you mind if I join you? I don't have any LF gear(yet). I was at Joshua Tree last year and sadly missed my opportunity to meet Per

Aris

Quote Originally Posted by akaa View Post
    Hey All! Do you mind if I join you? I don't have any LF gear(yet). I was at Joshua Tree last year and sadly missed my opportunity to meet Per

Aris
    Aris,

First, you can bring whatever camera you like, you're so welcome! Students and colleagues of Per Volquarz will share stories, insights and even techniques. That's going to be the thread of the meeting. There will be impressive silver gelatin, platinum, carbon transfer and ever inkjet prints, more than you could imagine. Jim Fitzgerald will break ground for you on magnificent Carbon transfer prints which add a new dimension to B&W printing. Also Kim Weston will be presenting the Weston Legacy and hopefully doing workshops, which is, in itself, not a bad start for LF work. There will be varied LF 4x5 setups for still life too.

Just send me a PM with your email and tel number and days of attendance, friday to sunday morning.

Let me know if you will be going to the RV park ~ $50/night if you have a camper/van/RV or $36/night if we can fit you in.

Notice to others waiting: tell us now so we can rent another house if need be!!

Asher

Re: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz: Update, 5 days to go!

There's just a 5 days to go to the meeting in Pismo Beach.

All the food except for saturday night will be at the meeting headquarters. The dunes, (as of this morning at 10 yards from the designated RV parking lot South Western Border), are pristine and beautiful with no footprints. I'm calculating food costs ands then will send out a note to everyone for that ,(and for those who stay at the houses, their small fee of $36/night.) Please send the money ASAP by paypal as a gift as I have paid for everything personally for the rent in advance. I hope to send out the notes to you tomorrow. By eating at one place we will be able to do more getting together, sharing prints and shooting.

We'll have still life setups, in the style of simplicity of those on Per's website and material to construct new ones. Friday as soon as you arrive 11 am to noon or so, there will be everything ready to start shooting still life, models clothed and also figure studies. The idea is to be as simple as possible and provide the photographer with room to individualize and control, the image. then at ~ 3:15 pm those who want to capture the waves and undulations of the dunes modeled in evening light, have to leave for the Dunes Ranch parking lot as sunset at ~5:50 will not wait. We need to get to the place, set up and get going and shoot in the 30 to 40 minutes before sunset.

So, while the whole program is devoted to bringing together experiences of those influenced and inspired by Per Volquartz, we do need to keep an eye on the clock to actually take pictures! There will be tons of time later at dinner for relaxing over wine and celebrating our stories.

I have sent the tentative program around to Ted and several photographers as we progressed for input and approval and you will all receive the program shortly. Everything is based on getting at least 3 dune shoots as a group, Friday sunset, saturday sunset and Sunday dawn. If guys escape on a Dawn shoot saturday at 4 am, they will be asleep for Jim Fitzgerald's presentation on Carbon and Platinum and will be tired for the Kim Weston the work of Edward Weston and the Weston legacy and then by the time the figure models get to pose, no one will be awake! Models can be clothed if you wish and they will have an number of outfits to compose with.

Some may prefer to photograph the sea coast from the Pismo beach, 10 miles of curving rocks and dunes or go north to the thirds pier and photograph bull seals 6 ft away on the rocks by the 3rd pier. Every so often, at the house, you'll hear the sound of phut-phut engines. Then you should look up! You'll see 1924 biplanes covered with cloth over a wood frame, doing rolls or a MadMax open helicopter contraption piloted by a fellow in a WWI leather flying helmet, hovering above us in his gyrocopter, powered by some repurposed Honda lawnmower engine! So one will need a digicam too or something with a zoom lens to capture these fleeting funny and archaic spectacles.

Once we are all there, the group can make adaptions as desired. You can be assured of a full and interesting array of choices and a great program. Please bring your pictures of Per and those made with him at his workshops and of course, work from your own portfolio to share, exchange, swop or sell. Also if you have any gear to show, exchange and/ sell bring 'em on too.

I plan to drive up to the area and check everything to ensure everything is as we expect! If anyone wants to meet us in Pismo about 11 am this
    Monday, let me know. Input is always welcomed! Meanwhile, you might enjoy some pictures of per and also the dunes, here

Asher

I'm not sure we can put anyone else up for $36 a night. It might be that the next places are at $50 a night since the costs are now higher. There's ~22-25 people coming so far!
    Last edited by Asher Kelman; 19-Feb-2012 at 01:24.

The cost for each person attending will be $72. This covers food from Friday afternoon, dinner friday evening, wine, until breakfast sunday morning. (Dinner Saturday night we'll go to a healthy but economical restaurant is not included but will be modest). By eating together, we have more time for shooting and socializing. Given the fixed times of sunset and sunrise, working on a schedule as a group, but having incredible choices, makes for the best combination. When you come back from the shoot, dinner will be ready. So the program on Friday until we leave for the dunes will be very informal with many choices, but all in the same location. You can get lost in prints or shooting still life or models in fabulous clothes, or figure studies, whatever you wish and at your pace for4 hours before we go to the dunes for the sunset shoots. The program is rich; we've tons to photograph, still life, portraits and more from 11 am Friday. But the dunes are pristine and beautiful and the coastal scenes are spectacular. This is going to be a photoshoot to remember. Bring film for landscape and also portraits and still life as well as color if you like that for the models. We have one film changing hood so far, from Brian, so if someone has another, that would be great.

Please send the meeting fee of $72 plus $36 per night, if you are booked with us in the two houses, (towels, and linen included) or just $72 if you are using an RV/camping. Send by paypal to med007ATmac.com (replace AT with @, of course) as a gift. note it's zero, zero seven in 007 or else the money might go to someone in London! Let me know if you have any special dietary requirements or allergies. When you arrive, we'll be prepared for photography from 11 am! You'll decide what moves you. The choices will be before you and easy to choose from. This way, folk can be productive according to interests and creativity or just hang out and enjoy prints on display.

Asher

Having had feedback, let's make the arrangements more in line with how Per's get togethers were organized. So food costs are optional! If you want to be included in getting food for the breakfasts, friday dinner and saturday barbecue, let me know. A donation towards the fixed costs would be appreciated of $10-$15, but is not required. Folk can feel comfortable to eat as they wish. If the group self organizes to buy food or go to a restaurant or eat on the go, then that will work perfectly too. We want to do what is most natural and comfortable for everyone. If folk want to eat at the houses, let me know.

It took a while for me to learn how Per get-togethers were set up! Well that's a good thing to learn and I'm adjusting to that idea. The joy of getting together and going over prints and folk doing the things they know how to do in the way they are used to doing. I'm on board with that! I'm deferring to Jim Fitzgerald insight and appreciate feedback. We have the meeting place organized and an excellent choice of subjects to photograph while the dune winds blow from 11 or 11 30 am to 4:40 pm, when the sand is in the air. I number of guys have reported that they will be scouting the junes either thursday or friday morning. So we'll have different inputs as to the places to shoot. Again, where and when you shoot will be self-selected but we'll have the information collected for you to choose your schedule and interests.

One can shoot all day everyday in the dunes, thursday though sunday or take advantage of many other options. For those who wish to explore, we'll have still life setups and models you can work with as you wish.

Asher

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I'm going to add my .02 here. I want to thank Asher for helping get together this "get together"! In the years past we would assemble at the end of the day to discuss how the shooting went for the day. Generally we meet and discuss things and maybe see who we click with or wish to learn from and shoot with. We kind of make things up as we go. Some people will be in the dunes and some elsewhere. Asher was kind enough to help formalize this a bit and initially it was to much of a formal thing. Ted set this up as a get together and now we have many options that we can discuss when we all get together. Like it always is. You can do as much or as little as you wish. A small contribution toward the over all cost I do not feel is unreasonable. No mandatory fee for food from everyone. The people committed to staying in the home can decide about food and drink. It's a BYOB kind of event.

Meeting at the home to show prints discuss our work is important to our growth as artists. I look forward to viewing others work as this is always inspirational. This is one of the things I think all should attend but it is totally up to the individual photographers to decide. I'm happy to discuss and show the steps involved in carbon printing and I'll have some hand outs for those interested.

This is a great learning opportunity and we will have a great time. So long as costs are covered everything should be okay. Please join us for a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I'm going to add my .02 here. I want to thank Asher for helping get together this "get together"! In the years past we would assemble at the end of the day to discuss how the shooting went for the day. Generally we meet and discuss things and maybe see who we click with or wish to learn from and shoot with. We kind of make things up as we go. Some people will be in the dunes and some elsewhere. Asher was kind enough to help formalize this a bit and initially it was to much of a formal thing. Ted set this up as a get together and now we have many options that we can discuss when we all get together. Like it always is. You can do as much or as little as you wish. A small contribution toward the over all cost I do not feel is unreasonable.
    Thanks Jim for the kind words and your generosity is presenting Carbon printing Saturday morning. That's something I'm looking forward to.

No mandatory fee for food from everyone. The people committed to staying in the home can decide about food and drink. It's a BYOB kind of event.

Meeting at the home to show prints discuss our work is important to our growth as artists. I look forward to viewing others work as this is always inspirational. This is one of the things I think all should attend but it is totally up to the individual photographers to decide. I'm happy to discuss and show the steps involved in carbon printing and I'll have some hand outs for those interested.

This is a great learning opportunity and we will have a great time.

So long as costs are covered everything should be okay.
    We do need some contribution so that the organizing costs are at least somewhat covered and right now, we need folk to step up!

Asher