Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

Re: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

Michael,

Bags for snow, rain and sand on camera stuff is fine. I use a space blanket (a heavy one) as a ground cloth when out in the field. And use wood tripods all the time outside. I remember one of my workshop students spending most of the day cleaning all the parts of a metal tripod. Sand, salt water and mud is not fun to deal with.

Jan Pietrzak

avoid putting your stuff on the ground, even with a ground cloth, especially when windy.

to me... baggies just seem like a great way to mate lenses and sand together.

as far as tripod legs go, I try to always keep my bottom legs extended, unless I go for a really low camera angle. I also try to pre-sink them into the sand before I start shooting. Of course you will end up having to clean out your legs if you are using carbon or aluminum versions.
    Robert Oliver

Randy and I did a fast recon of Oceano Dunes Wednesday and checked out a few good spots for camping with RVs or day visit.The main ATV part has some venders that rent atv's for day use and as far as camping there we did not see any tents but mostly Hugh fifth wheel trailers, how they got those things into and out of the soft sand i don't know.There are restrooms, and dumping station for RV. Reservations required 48hr's ahead of time limited to 1000 street legal vehicles a day, "wheew" thats a lot. When we drove thru, it did not seem that crowded.

The Pacific Dunes RV Dunes Park looked the best for access to the ATV Restricted area of the park which does not have tire tracks all over the faces of the Dunes. But you need a n RV to stay there .

Guadalupe Dunes County Park looks like good access to the Dunes also from your car, don't think there is camping . Will check into that later. Oso Flaco Day use looks promising also but did not have time to visit. A 1 mile broad walk to beach and has parking lot and Restrooms.

I'm sure there are other options but those are the ones I we came up with. And thanks KevinR and Robert for your input and really liked those ODSVRA maps. They show so many little and bigger Parks and places to visit around there.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I started to think of the movie Vacation as I read it though.

Clark: I'm just trying to treat my family to a little fun.
    Ellen Griswold: Oh spare me, Clark, I know your brand of family fun. Tomorrow you'll probably kill the desk clerk, hold up a McDonalds, and drive us 1000 miles out of the way to see the world's largest pile of mud!

Somehow I don't see myself lugging a ULF several miles from a tent in the sand to a 'difficult to walk on' mountain of sand.

I'm more of the motel to the dune kind of person, unless it's a week with Jim F. At Yosemite. I do plan on being there, which camera and what orthopedic devices is yet to be decided. Insert smiley faces here.

Well Curt did not mean to make a bad impression , its not to far a walk really, and sand is soft on the foot.
    Mike

Hey Mike, you must know my sense of humor by now. Geez I hope you know the Clark in the quote was Clark Griswold from the movie Vacation.

I haven't been there for decades, there were a lot of dune buggies back then. I bet when Brett Weston was there and then told his father Edward about it in the 1930's it was very secluded. I remember in the fifties how crooked, narrow and desolate the highways were before the big interstate occurred, thanks to president Eisenhower for fixing a lot of that.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Guys, work out! Try rock hopping with a 14x17 on your back! Sand is soft but I would still take my smallest camera with me. 8x10 baby!

Jim, I was going to take my 4x5 and have Curt or Randy carry my tripod,can'nt get much lighter than that.

Curt , just pulling your leg,the movie with Chevy Chase, when he explanes to the cop why there is a dog leash and collar tied to his back bumper.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Micheal Clark View Post
    Jim, I was going to take my 4x5 and have Curt or Randy carry my tripod,can'nt get much lighter than that.

Curt , just pulling your leg,the movie with Chevy Chase, when he explanes to the cop why there is a dog leash and collar tied to his back bumper.

Mike
    Curt can carry the tripod, I'll carry the Frisbee.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

That will work,maybe I will take the 5x7!!

Mike