Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

Re: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oliver View Post
    I know the dunes pretty darn well... growing up right next to them and photographing them as often as I can.

This is, by far, the easiest option for getting ULF into the best section of dunes in my opinion. Hopefully I'll be there with my little sub-miniature 4x5 camera....

I sometimes park there and take a rough little trail that skirts the RV resort, with the full understanding that they could have me towed at any time they wanted since I am parking on their private property. I always go by myself, and make sure I don't disturb any of their guests. So far, I've never had a problem.
    Robert, just read your post,I was thinking of the same line as you about renting an RV for the home base were we all could meet at certain times of the day. if has to be large enough for a formal meeting to organize stuff and I will look in to it on my end. Hope you will be there to meet you .

Mike Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Micheal Clark View Post
    Like I was saying,if we all pitch in a couple of bucks we could hire Kelvin
    Money? AT YOUR SERVICE, SIR!!

Seriously, use Google maps to scope things out. Try this one that shows the Pismo Dunes Nature Preserve outlined in green (I hope--Google maps is kinda finicky):

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...31253,0.055189

Other line work on this map shows the open vehicle recreation area and state lands.

To the east of the vehicle areas (not enclosed by lines) is closed lands. To the south of the open vehicle area but still inside the state park (Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area) is Oso Flaco. South of that (outside the lines) is the National Wildlife Refuge (very tough access and mostly closed). Way south is Guadalupe.

Hope this helps.

look for the Pacific Dunes Resort in the middle of the map... If you get one of the upper sites, you will have arguably the most photogenic section of the dunes right at your front door.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...87,-120.617266
    Robert Oliver

Lets toss all this around, put in personal ideas and see what we come up with,Christmas is around the corner so that is family time.Starting in January we can work on concrete,(Jim's fort-ay) plans.
    Mike

That's a great idea Mike, I don't know about the others but I'm on overload.

Just bought a sand dune tri pod, but its got spikes?? Its made of wood any how.
    Mike

Landscape/Still Life

Mike, Sand Dunes tripod what kind?

AA just used a thin piece of plywood he called it a 3 point folding star to use in the dunes I'm thinking about making one of these for myself and of course long plastic sleeves for keeping the sand out of the legs! Yes after the holidays so everyone has family time! No worries or overloads!

I have been thinking about 3 Friz-bee's may be or that star you mentioned and a few others, but have not come up with anything yet. Gostcount and I were going to drive up there fore a day or two and test the sands as it were, try some sand shoes and camera baggies, suppose to be getting a wooden tripod here soon and like to try that out also.

Mike

Ted, Michael

Go over to REI or any ski shop, look at trecking/ski pole ends. About 3.5 to 4 inch rounds for the end of the poles. Or get some masonite cut into 3 to 4 inch rounds, put hole in middle for tripod spikes. Just remember to pick them up when done or make more than 3 to take with. Oh Ted forget the baggies get a wooden/Ries tripod to use.

Jan Pietrzak

Thanks Jan. I'm buying a Brelack (sp) tripod that has spikes, I have a Manfrotto with side locks and have used it in sand, but it jammed up so thought I'd try a wood tripod.

You say the baggies do'nt work Jan, I know you are in a sandy area so you must have tried them , hate to get sand in camera and lens.
    Mike