Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

Les

Re: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

(Partly to Dan)
    Wow, you guys seem to have a nice time on the Central Coast...my old stumping grounds. Too bad I couldn't make it...I'm sure I would have enjoyed. Dan, have you gone to Montana de Oro ? It's not far from there and I've been told that it has rocky coast similar to La Joya - hope you check it out when you have a chance. Also, keep an eye on tides since there is this sizable rock (like an isle)...also in Shell Beach. Anyway, try to find out and time your visit....once in 6yrs the tide (in Spring) is so incredibly low that it allows folks to actually enter the eroded cave. I mean, opportunity galore. I still have a shot of 3 starfishes (of different color) clinging to this small rock, that was taken there. I was using 35mm Kchrome and the exposure was rather long. It became one of my happy accidents, the thin wave came in during the exposure...and the effect was similar to a watercolor. Anyway, hope to make it down there soon.

Les

Saratoga, CA

After all the great things I heard about Per, I'm sorry I did not have the pleasure of meeting the gentleman.
    Mr.Gale

R.I.P. Per

Shell Beach 2/25/2012

first image I took at the dunes. the second one is for Ted he made me promise
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pismo_dunes-.jpg   pismo_dunes-003.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    After all the great things I heard about Per, I'm sorry I did not have the pleasure of meeting the gentleman.
    Mr.Gale

R.I.P. Per

Shell Beach 2/25/2012
    An exceptional sunset! The most fitting for a Per Volquartz epitaph. I could imagine him with his hat and his cane, just behind you.

So apt.

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Dan, have you gone to Montana de Oro ? It's not far from there and I've been told that it has rocky coast similar to La Joya - hope you check it out when you have a chance. Also, keep an eye on tides since there is this sizable rock (like an isle)...also in Shell Beach. Anyway, try to find out and time your visit....once in 6yrs the tide (in Spring) is so incredibly low that it allows folks to actually enter the eroded cave. I mean, opportunity galore. I still have a shot of 3 starfishes (of different color) clinging to this small rock, that was taken there. I was using 35mm Kchrome and the exposure was rather long. It became one of my happy accidents, the thin wave came in during the exposure...and the effect was similar to a watercolor. Anyway, hope to make it down there soon.

Les
    Leszek,

Yes I have been to Montana de Oro. I went there maybe about four or five months ago, just to scout it out. I need to go again. Yes, I do need to pay more attention to the tide charts. I relied on brute force this last time out, but my next attempt will be well planned.

Cheers,

-DP

Nice pics so far...Keep um comin
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	70251 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	70252
    Last edited by Forrest Atkins; 15-Mar-2012 at 18:00.

Forrest,

Your pictures from your stay at Pismo would make Per happy. The one on the right with the footsteps against the wind patterns is unique. Maybe he was walking across the sand to the summit. Kudos! I wish I could take such a picture. Most of us would not see what you did looking at the same area!

Asher

Asher,

Responded to your pm requesting payment for me and my girlfriend. You may want to check with other before sending such a stern pm. You might also check earlier post to this thread in which I made clear my plan to travel solo and camp out rather than stay in the house. Sorry if someone bailed on you but be sure it was not me.

Quote Originally Posted by forrest atkins View Post
    nice pics so far...keep um comin
    Click image for larger version. 

Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	70251 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	70252
    very nice images i missed not talking to you more at the get together. We should meet again and do some more hiking and photography craig

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Forrest and everyone who has posted images. Very nice work. My dune shots suck big time! Over developed the negatives! I have some portraits that I'll post at some point. To busy on other images to work on them now.