Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Join Me For Desert Trip III (February 2013) ?

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Join Me For Desert Trip III (February 2013) ?

I had lunch with a friend today and after showing him a few prints, I invited him to meet me in Death Valley, etc. for my Desert Trip II this coming February. But, it was too short notice so he suggested that I plan more formally for a Feb. 2013 trip in order to give time for people to make arrangements, raise a bit of cash and prepare significant others. SO....I'll be going (if the fates allow) again in Feb. 2013, and think it would be great to meet some of you there or have you join the train as it speeds out West. Train (the Southwest Chief) pick-up points would be NYC, Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago etc. Or you can just fly out to Vegas, rent a car and we get together in Death Valley or at other parts of the itinerary. I hear Hugo Zhang will model shirtless for us and maybe show us his big one - the 16x20, if he can make it. Other people that live in the area are certainly welcome for however many mornings and afternoons you can join us for. But it's really those stuck in the East that would like to experience the West that I am hoping this materializes for. If you might be interested, let me know and I'll keep a registry and make motel arrangements at the suitable time (you will have to arrange car rentals - I recommend Enterprise, way cheaper than H or A).

The itinerary will be something like:

-a night in Vegas for a show
    -5 or 6 days in Death Valley (30% discount for seniors for stay >3 days)
    -4 or 5 days around Joshua Tree and Mojave
    -2 days Palm Springs area
    -possible Organ Pipe Cactus visit (if we go we stay here:

http://www.guesthouseinn.biz/ajo_home.html

-2 days Scottsdale including visit to Superstition wilderness
    -visit to Jerome and Sedona; O/N in Sedona
    -finish in Flagstaff/Vegas and train/plane home. Possible Grand Canyon visit

As I said, I'm hoping to arrange to meet with local photographers at particular locations, so I hope some of you volunteer! We'll all be nice people. There may even be a couple of Canadians!

Interested as a traveller? Interested as a greeter/local practitioner/guide? And, if you can't meet with us -interested in telling us which motels to avoid? Restaurant recommendations? Let me know...

PS I lived in Scottsdale for 4 months back in the late 80s, travelled all over Arizona, New Mexico, Southern California and am fairly familiar with the area (and despite popular misconception, I DIDN'T get lost on my last trip, just delayed by snow in Chicago and then in bed with flu for 3 days in DV). I just wish there was time to go to Canyon de Chelly, Monument Valley...Arches...etc.
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Re: Join Me For Desert Trip III (February 2013) ?

Way too far out in the future for me to plan! LOL! As the time gets closer I'll see what plans can be made to connect somewhere out here in California!

Vaughn

Thanks Vaughn. This Feb. is also available for me to meet photographers if you are already there. Let me know about that too...I'll post my detailed itinerary once I suss it out to enable possible get-togethers...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

now that's what I call planning ahead.....

This past February didn't work for me, but now I have no excuse when I get that much notice. I will start saving my pennies and organizing my schedule accordingly

but you have to promise me that you will leave the flu bug behind on this next trip.....
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

I'll be in Death Valley and Joshua Tree in early February 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    We'll all be nice people.
    Well, that lets me out.

Quote Originally Posted by karl french View Post
    I'll be in Death Valley and Joshua Tree in early February 2012.
    Noted! I will PM you my itinerary/motels once I know...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_E View Post
    now that's what I call planning ahead.....

This past February didn't work for me, but now I have no excuse when I get that much notice. I will start saving my pennies and organizing my schedule accordingly

but you have to promise me that you will leave the flu bug behind on this next trip.....
    I promise Frank...

That sounds like a great time and far enough to be practical in planning. Please put me on the list.

Curt

You're on Curt, where do you live?