Thread: 5x7 and larger negs

5x7 and larger negs

Currently shooting 4x5 and involved in P/P printing BUT the resultant contact prints are rather small...can anyone shed light on where/whom I can have these 4x5 b/w negs scanned and printed into larger negs for contact printing. Would be interested in 5x7 / 8x10/11x14. Without this resource, will have to dream about purchasein a larger format camera. Thanx.....steve

Re: 5x7 and larger negs

Many people use inkjet printers to make "digital negatives" on transparency material. Because the papers used in Pt/Pd printing are rather rough, the "dots" are not an issue.

You can make an image with a smart phone, convert to b&w, and print a digital negative as large as your printer will allow - or as large a Pt/Pd print you can make with your vacuum easel or contact printing frame.

There are books on the subject, and courses you can take.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanx but that's not the direction I'm going. Looking for another to enlarge these 4x5 negs. No photoshop/no epson printer/no 31-step wedge --just another whom I can pay to create these enlarged negs or it's buy another camera time. Thanx.

wait you want them scanned but you don't want them printed? That doesn't make any sense. You could have them possibly silver printed into larger inter-negs (I think), or you could have them scanned and printed on an inkjet printer. But you can't have them scanned and then "enlarged". Two different things.

multiplex

im not sure if there is a service that will make enlarged lith negatives
    which was what people did before the whole digital negative thing happened.
    do you have access to an 4x5 enlarger? if so, check out this article:
    http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/NbyR/nbyr.html

I think you want someone with film recorder experience. I can't find the name of his lab at the moment, but John Castronovo offered that, as well as many high end digital services, so I'm sure he could scan the original as well. Google him, maybe you'll find him... somewhere back east...
    Tyler

If you want to stick with in-camera negatives, then you can kill 2 birds with one stone by purchasing a larger camera (for all future work), and a process lens with which to make your own internegatives from 4x5. You'll be happier with the results too, as well as the cost. Process lenses can be cheaper than paying a skilled craftsperson over and over. All you need is adequate bellows draw on the new camera.

That's a most sensible answer...looks like I get to buy a new toy afterall. Thanx. Yesterday i couldn't even spell 8x10 -- but now I just may be owning one...what a country.