Thread: Digital Polaroid

Digital Polaroid

http://www.polaroid.com/en/press/201...tal-camera-ava

The announcement ignores what might account for much of the charm of the Polaroid instant materials- each print was unique. Absent that essential quality, I don't think I'd give $300 for one. The Zink material does look interesting, though.

Re: Digital Polaroid

Interesting indeed Jay. Not surprised they echo the form factor (kinda) and mechanics of the SX-70 cameras. I wonder why they didn't have any sample prints to show though. I'd like to see what effects they have and also know how long the Zink prints last. If it was closer to $200 or under, I could see this thing selling once again for film set continuity work.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Hi Fred,

Yes, I think the ZINK technology is the real story here. I don't imagine the 14MP Polaroid camera offers anything of substance over the 8MP camera in an iPhone, for 3x4 prints. I suspect a portable, wireless printer compatible with smart phones will be more popular than a big, clunky camera/printer mashup.

I think this is a great idea. The bug question is can images from it be posted on LF group? Is 4x3 considered LF? Ken we need a ruling!

:-)

Tim

This could be really cool--except for three things.

1) It looks big. How are you supposed to carry it around?

2) The prints are cool but it sounds like they take a full minute to print. So they sort of hang out the front for a minute? Not nearly as cool as a hand-around SX-70 or whatever that you could all watch emerge.

3) The cost is $20 for 30 prints. Better than before, I think, but people are accustomed to .19 cent prints. This may be too high a price point in the digital age.

Then again, every time I have a 4x5 out with the Polaroid back people love love it, especially kids.

Kudos, at least, for a cool idea.

--Darin

I see this as going head to head with Fuji's Instax and if priced right, I could see myself buying one.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I have one of the portable PoGo printers that prints little 2x3" self-adhesive prints using the same technology. It's really cool, though paper is hard to get around here and occasionally the print quality really blows (though it's not without a charm of its own). I like being able to print little prints directly from camera when I'm shooting digital that I can then just give people right there.