Thread: how much is it for collodion process?

how much is it for collodion process?

How much it would cost for a beginner with none equipment?

Thank you,

Re: how much is it for collodion process?

Depends a lot on the format you're going to use. You'll need a 4x5 camera for example, and a plate holder (or modify an existing filmholder to use plates...but there are 4x5 plateholders on sale on ebay regularly.) For the actual chemicals, the most expensive is the silver (which you can buy pre-mixed along with the rest of the premixed chemicals from places like Bostick & Sullivan.) It certainly isn't cheap. You'll use up a lot of time and chemicals getting the process right.

Quote Originally Posted by yuexiachou29 View Post
    How much it would cost for a beginner with none equipment?

Thank you,
    I'm not sure what size you had in mind...

But, for starting out this looked interesting...though I haven't taken the wet plate plunge, and am unsure how complete the kit is...

Cheers,
    Dan

The B&S kit seems quite popular depending where you are in the world.

A box Brownie will work just fine if finance is limited. I shoot one now and again with no problems.

This tintype was taken with a Box Brownie 2C it has a 2 7/8 x 4 7/8 format
    http://fourtoes.co.uk/iblog/?p=3568

It's not that expensive if you can make some of the equipment, like the silver and fix bath. But another cost is your aluminum or glass that will be your plates. I buy a box of 10 sheets of aluminum several times a year.

I used a box brownie when I started out, and it took some good photos. Expect to spend about $200 on chemicals to get started. You can use trays for silver nitrate dipping, just be careful not to splash around. You can do the fixing in a tray, I always do. Check with a local trophy shop for some black aluminum (I use Main Trophy Supply in Chicago). The Bostick and Sullivan chemical kit is a good starter, because some of the chemicals are pre-mixed, and it includes most of the bottles you'll need to get going. If you have a 4x5 camera, you can convert a film holder into a plate holder.

I would also recommend John Coffer's book and DVDs, even if you don't plan on taking the workshop with John (also recommended).

If you still want to continue in wetplate, I would recommend ArtCraft Chemicals in NY for supplies.

Wayne

Just to throw a hard number into the mix, when I started wet plate (buying all the chemicals and glassware, as well as some glass for plates) I spent $600. I already had a camera and plate holder that was given to me.

When I started, I spent less than $200 on chemicals. Most of them will last a long time, I still have a lot of my salts I bought years ago. The silver also lasts quite a while. Expendables are Collodion and the aluminum or glass. The amount of everything depends on how large a plate you want to make. I've seen people buy like 200 grams of Silver Nitrate, when 40 would do for a small bath. Small amounts and small plates to start is my recommendation.