Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Componon vs EL-Nikkor

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Componon vs EL-Nikkor

So with this Durst enlarger I picked up a slew of lenses with it. I already have a set of 50,80, 135 EL-Nikkor enlarging lenses for my Saunders 4550. I'm trying to decide which set of lenses to keep.

So is there a thought that the Componon lenses are sharper than the EL-Nikkors? Is it a noticable difference?

I'm trying to make my next moves in a thoughtful manner and lens selection is one that I think is important.

Thanks!

Re: Componon vs EL-Nikkor

Best bet might be to try them and see what appeals to you...

I personally prefer El Nikkor lenses for small formats, especially vs the Componon

But for 4x5 I prefer the Componon S in both 135 and 150...though, not for every negative...I still dig out an old Apos 165 Colorstigmat on occasion...

Cheers,
    Dan

It depends on how big you want to enlarge the small rollfilm negatives. The 50 and 80 will be great up to 11x14, but if you want to go larger then look into the Rodagon-G lenses or the Schneider APO-Componon-HM lenses.

That 135mm should be fine for 4x5 negatives as big as the enlarger will project vertically if the head does not go up all the way.

Componon or Componon S? The latter is the newer/more expensive/presumably better of the two. I used 50mm, 100mm and 150mm Componon S lenses and they were excellent. I also used an El Nikkor 50mm years ago and it was good too but the time between using it and the Componon Ss was too great to allow me to compare them.

If I couldn't test and couldn't keep both sets I'd probably keep the Componons rather than the El Nikkors if the Componons are the S version, otherwise I'd keep the El Nikkor. But you have both and can test so that's what I'd suggest doing.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

The Componons are not the S version. Also if I do a test the EL-Nikkors will be on a diffusion head and the Componons will be on the condenser. That might not be the fairest of tests...

I wouldn't bother testing the lenses against the other brand unless some have fungus or look like they have been tampered. Are you going to get rid of the LPL? If so I'd pass the lenses already mounted on boards along with the enlarger. Keep the Durst lenses with the Durst. The Componons (non-S) are a little old, but have a bunch of them and they work fine.

Also, consider that you only have so many bulbs for the Durst. I know my bulb is almost $300 and the reflector is $1800, so I kept my 4x5 enlargers around for the smaller formats.

Keep them both as they are worth very little on the used market unless you plan on giving or donating them to a worthy organization or person in which case I would keep the El Nikkors.

I just picked up an El-Nikkor 135mm for my enlarger. I have matching 50mm and 80mm ones.

I have a Componon (not S) 135mm but it always seems unsharp in the corners at f/11 or f/16. I like the way the Nikkors have looked on smaller formats so that was my motivation. I do think the Componon has a trace of fungus. I'm hoping to start an analog photography class at the local Continuing Education place so I might donate it to help offset the cost of the program.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Drew Wiley

Both lens series were made over quite a period of time, so it depends on the specifics.
    But I'd much rather have a late El Nikkor than any Componon S, which would be better
    than an earlier Componon, however.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    It depends on how big you want to enlarge the small rollfilm negatives. The 50 and 80 will be great up to 11x14, but if you want to go larger then look into the Rodagon-G lenses or the Schneider APO-Componon-HM lenses.
    Or the Schneider G series or the Rodenstock Apo Rodagon-N.

But remember, everything needs proper alignment and all of these lenses want a glass film carrier.