Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Cable Release

Long Cable Release

Does anyone know where to get a really long cable release that would allow me to trip my view camera shutter from say, 10 + feet away - so as to be included in a group portrait ?

I have seen old-fashioned bulb releases in the movies, when early 20th century photographers are depicted...Are these still used ?

Long Cable Release

The best mechanism is still manufactured by Degroff. I have used one for years and strongly recommend their unit. You can get a longer hose at the hardware store or medical supply house. Here is the page on the B&H website:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=242137&is=REG

A cheaper version is distributed by Kaiser. B&H has those also. A much thinner, vinyl hose is wound onto a plastic spool. Not quite the quality of Degroff.

multiplex

Long Cable Release

hi ken

i have one of those kaiser bulb/hose thingamabobs. it works pretty well. i think the hose is 20 feet long.

john

Long Cable Release

Kaiser Air Releases are available in 16 and 32' lengths. The longer one can be shortened.

Long Cable Release

Ken,I have a manual timer manufactured by KOPIL (Model II)that gives me 15 sec delay and it works just fine. Guy Boily

Long Cable Release

Those timers are really buzzy, like attaching your lens to a coffee grinder.

Long Cable Release

I'll add a vote for an air release. I got mine from Calumet. I think it is good for about 25' or so. It screws in just like a normal cable release. There is a very small lag between when you squeze the bulb and when the shutter fires, but a couple practice runs and you'll get the hang of it. It actually has a pretty solid feel.

Bruce Watson

Long Cable Release

When using the kaiser version, I find you need to completely unwind it from its spool. There is a definate lag between squeezing the bulb and the shutter firing - I find holding it my fist and giving it a good hard squeeze works best.

Long Cable Release

Thank you all very much - great forum !

Long Cable Release

Ken, the Degroff release is a very solid, well made product. The owner is also very accomodating, if you have special needs. I like mine.