Thread: Mounting petzval to Ilex #4 shutter

Ron Miller

Mounting petzval to Ilex #4 shutter

I've got a 6" F4 petzval that I recently acquired. I would like to get it in a shutter and I do have an Ilex #4 that was recently CLA'd and is in good shape. I was thinking about front mounting the shutter. Front of shutter is 52mm and the ID of the petzval front element is 49mm. I figured I would slap 2 filter adapter rings together which would allow me to attach the shuter to the front of the lens whenever I wanted to. While I am sure the shutter thread is 52mm, the 52mm adapter ring I have is not deep enough to catch the threads but I can work that out. The shutter is f9. I've eyeballed the iris opening to the lens and the iris looks like it is wider by a mm or 2.

This is certainly not the right way to do this but until I get the $$ to have SKG do it right, or lens2shutter, do you see anything wrong with this? I won;t be using this setup frequently. Just now and then. I'm not a soft focus guy - yet.

Re: Mounting petzval to Ilex #4 shutter

Renes has lots of experience with front mounting on this kind of shutter. He has a local (Poland) who does very nice brass adapters so the rear lens face is as close to the leaves as possible. Apart from listing in FS he has other mentions in other thread posting - which I unfortunately can't find just now!

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Renes has lots of experience with front mounting on this kind of shutter. He has a local (Poland) who does very nice brass adapters so the rear lens face is as close to the leaves as possible. Apart from listing in FS he has other mentions in other thread posting - which I unfortunately can't find just now!
    Steven, I talked to Renes a few days ago on this. His guy won't do long-distance work because of the issues involved (sending lens, etc.). And he'd be in the SKG ballpark anyway. I'm just looking for a winter/spring type of setup and wondering if I am missing any technical points.

Ron

I use 2 rubber bands. It's not pretty but they are cheap and not in the optical path.

You just gotta' be careful when mounting the shutter and you have to position the dials accordingly.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

I would thought that some kind of rubber drive for a hobby/domestic electric machine would be a little more reliable. Ron would have to remove the front hood to get clearance enough for the Ilex #4.

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I would thought that some kind of rubber drive for a hobby/domestic electric machine would be a little more reliable. Ron would have to remove the front hood to get clearance enough for the Ilex #4.
    Steven,

Any possibility you can find a pic on this to point me in the right direction?

Ron

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    I use 2 rubber bands. It's not pretty but they are cheap and not in the optical path.

You just gotta' be careful when mounting the shutter and you have to position the dials accordingly.
    Interesting idea. I'll look at this but this shutter is a keeper for sure and I'm a bit worried about the potential to damage the blades. I think the barrel of my lens is a bit smaller than yours.

Ron

I enclose a photo from the drive mechanism of a Ilfochrome base which has a suitable rubber drive! I think that a motor factor place could provide thin round rubber seals (called O-rings, I think) which can be locked together to form a suitable length. They often have these loose at very little.
    Commercial rubber bands perish very quickly in air and sunlight.