Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to purchase used lenses?

Where to purchase used lenses?

I am looking to buy a used lens for my 4x5 field camera. What are some reliable resources for used lenses in good condition. Obviously, reasonable prices are a major consideration. I am already familiar with keh.com and mpex.com.

Thanks, H. G.

Calumet (www.calumetphoto.com) sells used lenses. They sometimes have sales at very good prices. Ask to be put on their mailing list. The Lens and Reproduction Equipment Corp. (www.lensrepro.com) is a frequently recommended source. They carry older items than Calumet and some others. eBay is definitely not safe, and lenses bought there may not necessarily be less expensive than those from other sources, but even so, it remains the source for lowest prices. Just be careful and, if in doubt, pass.

Keep in mind that a lens which has not been in service recently will probably need a CLA, and adjust the price you are willing to pay accordingly.

Ernest,

I can recommend Midwest Photo Exchange for fair prices and guaranteed satisfaction. Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Probably the best source is www.mpex.com. I have bought several lenses from them and they always seem to underestime the condition. 9 or 9+ is hard to tell from brand new except no box. www.keh.com is another good source.

eBay is definitely not safe, and lenses bought there may not necessarily be less expensive than those from other sources, but even so, it remains the source for lowest prices. Just be careful and, if in doubt, pass.

Ebay is "safe" if you know what you are doing....If you have researched an Item and know what to expect, than EBAY is OK. I have bought several lenses from dealers, that needed total overhauls.....on a "9 condition" item.

If you don't know what you are doing...than avoid EBAY. Most people who complain about EBAY, either expect to get $2000 items for $75 or are uninformed, uneducated, don't read, etc. I have sold many pieces of camera equipment on EBAY, and over 220 positive feedbacks.

Narrow down your list of what you want, than start checking the ads or EBAY. in addition to the above try, www.qualitycamera.com, www.photogizzmo.com, www.brooklyncam.com, www.igorcamera.com.

I can second the comments on KEH. Last year I bought a 300mm lens for my Pentax 645 that they rated as a bargain (one of there lowest ratings) It was a great price and when I got it, it just had a couple of cosmetic marks on the lense barrel. It has worked flawlessly and was indeed a great bargain! Keh seems to be very conservative in there ratings, which is to say that you probably won't get burned. Ebay is still a good source for used equipment. I have both bought and sold alot of equipment. You must watch your feedback ratings and know what you are bidding on. I have seen used items go for more than new at B&H or Adorama. Bargains are out there, you just have to look.

FWIW, I, too, have experienced excellent service and quality items coming from KEH. They are sometimes slightly more expensive than other dealers of used gear, but I've never heard of anyone having an unresolved problem with them. I've only purchased from Midwest Photo Exchange (mpex.com) once, and that experience was good, too.

A couple or three regular contributors to this forum also frequently have optics for sale on ebay. They have excellent feedbacks from buyers(check it out for yourself) and I wouldn't hesitate to buy lenses from them---I have in fact bought a couple and they were excellent additions to the stable. The only downside might be that their reputations for quality items are well known and the more popular lenses often get "bid up" to what the retailers often charge and sometimes more as auction fever sets in...still, you never can tell until you join the dogfight. Like in Reno, set your personal limit and pass when the stakes get too high.

A caution though regarding unknown sellers on Ebay. If something is dirt cheap, it probably is, well, unpleasant. If you're into experimenting, thats fine, but I've got my own version of Scotland Yard's Black Museum----a 24" RD Artar that looks as if jilted bride worked over the rear element with her engagement ring. A #4 Universal shutter with no provision for a cable release----well, you get the idea.

I hope this helps.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

yeas, anything from Dagor 77 on ebay should be decent, same for anything from Jim Galli - but their stuff usually goes for realistic prices not bargain. Botare on this list and straight up honest blokes
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Add another vote for KEH; their rating system is better than excellent. (I say that because it seems that if they rate a lens as "excellent" it will meet or exceen anyone else's "like new" rating...)

Ebay is like the world's biggest garage sale. There's a lot of outright junk there being passed off as a great find, but there are also some great finds to be had. My advice: pay attention to the seller's feedback. Set definite limits: how much feedback they need before you even look, how many negatives you'll overlook, etc. Then abide by your limits; if a seller has even one more bad rap than your limit, then you just don't want anything he/she has to sell.