Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aero-Ektar Images - post 'em!

Re: Aero-Ektar Images - post 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Taken up the street from my house a few weeks ago.

Provia 100F 4x5 Quickload (expired 1998). Speed Graphic, 2 sec. @ f/2.5
    Amazing how landscape shots look with this lens wide open. The center is sharp and has what looks like infinite dof. This looks like the street depicted in my model rail road town, I mean it doesn't look real.

Cheers,
    Gary

A lot of that can be the tilts and swings involved. Photographers have been getting similar effects with tilt-shift lenses on their DSLRs as well. Usually a straight shallow depth of field landscape won't look toy-like.

Those photos I've taken with ektar aero with 5x7":

Very nice!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    There are some fun medium format combinations that have similar effects. The old Graflex Norita 66 had an 80/2 lens. The Contax 645 AF SLR has an 80/2. I think the big Rollei 6008-series had a 80/2 Xenotar. Their were a few Russian-East German fast lenses.... Not sure if Mamiya had any fast glass.... The nicest combination might be the F-series (electronic shutter in camera) Hasselblads with the Zeiss 110/2.
    An RB67 with a 100-200 mm Zoom and a compendium is fairly impressive on the bazooka scene. "Handheld" (hefty neckstrap) with a left side adjustable grip. Katchunnk!!!

Love that sound!

/gth

Who needs a Petzval? Instead of "swirlies" I get "blobs!"

Jonathan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4545545017_f086f742d7_z_d.jpg  

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I could hit focus maybe one out of four on average, I would usually shoot six sheets of a subject and often blow them all subtly.

With a tripod mounted camera and a little stern direction, I can usually get five or six out of six in focus.

Of course, shooting handheld is thought to be more spontaneous. With a heavy Speed Graphic and the associated operations necessary for loading a film holder and adjusting settings I don't think it is so spontaneous... a tripod mounted camera allows you to relax somewhat, and concentrate on your subject rather than worrying about camera movement inbetween focusing and shooting. I rather be talking and engaged with the person than to be all nervous watching my equipment.

A nice roll-film or digital camera is definitely more spontaneous and that's a large reason for their popularity. Why fight it? Go with each format's strength. So I now see large-format portraiture as something slowed down and more carefully considered. I try to shoot after exploring people with a smaller camera, then only shoot a couple of sheets as a large format portrait. By the time I get to the large format film, I already know what I want and don't need to experiment. This saves a lot of time/money/aggravation.

But to some people it is just a matter of getting an Aero-Ektar or a Verito or some other piece of equipment. Using toys is just as valid as anything else as long as you actually shoot. Knock yourself out and enjoy the ride.
    sage advice

thanks frank wise words, i like reading your posts. it also reminds me of why our elders are important, as they "know stuff" that would be lost otherwise.

so thank you.

ps i have a new 300mm aero aktar, that i am trying to work out how to a, mount, b, find a shutter for, and am looking forward to posting it on this fred.
    through a glass darkly...

@ Frank: I really like the 3rd one. That shadow really sculpts the portrait.

My brother, who hates to pose for me, and his best fake smile. Playing around with some fifteen year old Portra 400, hence the color shift.

Jonathan