Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source of Plus-X in 5x7 ?

Source of Plus-X in 5x7 ?

I apologize if I insulted your intelligence. I assure you that wasn't my intention. Since Plus-X has been discontinued, any 5X7 Plus-X that may still be available is probably out-dated, as you realize.

Kodak is still shipping plus-x in sheet sizes, "discontinued" means not being made anymore, not "unavailable".

Once the warehouse is empty, than it enters the realm of "unavailable", but not completley.

I called all over the country looking for discontinued in 1999 Kodak Recording Film type 2475. Found some in deep freeze in Orange County, CA.

Keep looking right now, and you will find sheet Plus-X in date, that you can freeze yourself.

I was merely suggesting my favorite film in the same speed family. Unlike Kodak, Ilford has made a commitment to large format B&W users. If we support them, they will be around for a while longer. I, for one, will be very dissapointed if Ilford eventually goes down the same path as Kodak.

If you want to go down the road of supporting companies, support companies like Bergger, Efke, Foma, and J and C. They are dealing on levels, that buying 20-50 boxes a year WILL make a contribution. Kodak and Ilford, have so many other intrests that the second certain products stop supporting others-they go away.

Octogenarian

Thanks for the correction, James.

I've just begun using Fujifilm Neopan Acros 100 in Quickload. Still using Ilford Ilfotec DD-X developer, as well as Ilford MGFB papers and chemicals, however.

I just don't feel comfortable regressing back to those "old fashioned" films and materials. I remember the "good old days". They actually weren't that good.

Does Plus-X in D-76 qualify as "old fashioned"? If so, I'd prefer to live in the past.

Octogenarian

No, Chad, Plus-X doesn't qualify as "old fashioned", yet. It is still available in 4X5. D-76/ID-11 will be around for a while.

I was referring to the bold heading on the JandC Photo add in View Camera magazine. "old fashioned films".

James, Since you are sure that Kodak is still shipping Plus-X in 5X7, why not just tell Chad where he can locate the film instead of criticizing what I said.

Octogenarian

No, Chad, Plus-X doesn't qualify as "old fashioned", yet. It is still available in 4X5. D-76/ID-11 will be around for a while.

I was referring to the bold heading on the JandC Photo add in View Camera magazine. "old fashioned films".

James, Since you are sure that Kodak is still shipping Plus-X in 5X7, why not just tell Chad where he can locate the film instead of criticizing what I said?

Eugene, I wasn't criticizing what you said....I just corrected you.

I have a friend who is a film salesman....he informed me that his store is still getting shipments of the now doscontinued Plus-X in sheet. Since the store never stocked 5x7, I did not direct Chad to the store.

As my post said....call around and you will find fresh Plus-X in 5x7. Just because B&H doesn't have it doesn't mean nobody else does.

There are still stores that have 4x5 Kodak HIE in the freezer....you just have to find them. (Central Camera in Chicago....)

Plus X Pan was discontinued a year ago in October 2002. I can't imagine they were pumping out a lot of 5x7 at that point?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

James - Central Camera is still listing Plus-X 5x7 on their website....??
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog