Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding the Aero Ektar to the Speed Graphic

Re: Adding the Aero Ektar to the Speed Graphic

I hate to further the Aero-Speed hipster trendiness but there is a video out there from Photo Shelter that has David Burnett showing his set up... he uses the side mounted Speed with a Aero. I believe his has a milled Aluminum support block under the lens (SK Grimes made this for the one I had).

He had a Linhof 90-degree plastic-cased mirror finder attached to the Graflock. He said he doesn't use the rangefinder or ground glass but simply is head-down focusing, then inserting the holder and firing as quickly as possible. In another video I have seen him using a very cheap but lightweight Velbon-type $30 tripod - I suspect this only partially supports the camera but it provides a fixed point to focus from. Handholding at portrait distances means that both the subject and the photographer are slightly swaying, which makes it almost impossible to hit focus. In fact if you look at his portraits with it, most of the people are sitting, sort of like 19th-Century wet plate....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LINHOF-TECHN...ht_3412wt_1096 This is one, his was black and it would need a little surgery to fit onto a Graflex.

I do like David's work with the Aero-Speed. That a cottage industry has sprung up around copying him should tell you something. Good luck.

I tried shooting mine hand-held, but this old guy just can't hold it steady any more. It weighs nearly eleven pounds, I use a tripod.
    Michael Cienfuegos

Quote Originally Posted by nonuniform View Post
    Yep, I found that site, great info.

So, you are using the Pacemaker, FP shutter, and side rangefinder? Do you use the rangefinder to focus?
    Sometimes.
    Where possible I prefer to use a tripod an ground glass.
    I have used the RF when working on quick portraits, either handheld or monopod( better) you need a fast shutter speed to avoid camera shake though,
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I don't remember what the Lommen board costs, but for $75 a local machinist made a retaining ring and cut a board to size for me. I sanded down the edges of the front standard and got the AE mounted easily enough.
    EUR 115 + shipping
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

It's funny, I'd never heard of David Burnett until I started looking for a longer lens for my Crown Graphic. One thing led to another and I was discovering the Aero Ektar, and then Burnett. The reason I like the lens is that it opens up to f/2.5. Otherwise, I'd slap my Schneider 180mm on a Speed Graphic and be done with it.

The Lommen lensboard is about $170 with shipping at the current dollar euro exchange. Well worth it, it is well made, and took about 5 minutes to set up and mount to the camera. It also balances the lens in the front standard, so no extra support is needed.

Wayne