Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: trouble from unknown

Re: trouble from unknown

a question is that
    How to put and to agitate film evenly in tray ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bush View Post
    a question is that
    How to put and to agitate film evenly in tray ?
    Single sheets - I agitate corner to corner, by lifting corners of tray for the first minute - then side to side, and front to back for intervals...

If multiple sheets - shuffle through sheets for agitation, moving bottom to top through stack...

Trick is finding something that works, then repeating it - consistently

Quote Originally Posted by Bush View Post
    Actually I have quite good dark room results from the last one until this one.( also using red laser point)
    These do look better - Question is, what do you remember doing differently between these and the others...

And the laser pointer may very well not have had anything to do with anything, simply an opinion on my part. But, I'd lean towards testing out as many variables as you can.

Cheers,
    Dan

There's still mottling in the water, take a close look at the roofs it's almost like a shadow but isn't in the sky.

As far as what the problem is with your negs, I'm no expert on development so no comment from me on that. I have been shooting xray film in 5x7 for a couple months and have really come to like it. I have been developing in 1gal freezer bags using 300ml of 1-100 rodinal for about 3-5 min followed by a very dilute 1-20 phenodine(sp?) Paper developer for approx 2 min. All with constant agitation all under a red safelight. The only reason I have been doing the 2 developer routine was my development times with rodinal 1-100 were running about 13 min and I've read that people on this forum have used paper developer for xray. So I just thought what the heck and threw some in to try. The rodinal seems to bring me a very printable neg for silver geletin then almost stops development probally due to the double sided emulsion and the paper dev brings up my density for trying to print carbon. So far I have gotten good results with this combo and pretty even development so i'll probally just stick with it for now. The nice thing about the freezer bags are that I haven't scratched a neg doing it yet. Just make sure you blow some air in the bag before you close it up as this makes agitation much easier.
    Doug

I agree that it's an agitation problem during development.

I develop 8x10 B&W in trays, four to six sheets at a time, emulsion down, thus:
    Place a sheet flat on the developer
    Press down in the middle to expel any air
    Press down all over to submerge in the developer
    Repeat with subsequent sheet, moving the bottom one to the top, in an almost continuous rotation.

I never move the film laterally. That's an invitation to scratches. All agitation is vertical as described.

Of course, with x-ray film, you're always developing emulsion-down or emulsion-up, whichever you prefer.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Ladies and Gentlemen - developing in freezer bags , am I the only one who has never heard of this.
    I have been responding to darkroom threads here and on APUG for a few years now . This is a so amazing use of home items to develop film. Good for you , I have never heard of this method and the only problem I can see is how to separate the film during the time if using more than 2 films, but talk about getting the chemicals on emulsion fast and ability to agitate. .. Those using ultra large film should actually give this method a go I can see back to back in a large bag, instant and constant flow of chemistry on the chemicals, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcohio View Post
    As far as what the problem is with your negs, I'm no expert on development so no comment from me on that. I have been shooting xray film in 5x7 for a couple months and have really come to like it. I have been developing in 1gal freezer bags using 300ml of 1-100 rodinal for about 3-5 min followed by a very dilute 1-20 phenodine(sp?) Paper developer for approx 2 min. All with constant agitation all under a red safelight. The only reason I have been doing the 2 developer routine was my development times with rodinal 1-100 were running about 13 min and I've read that people on this forum have used paper developer for xray. So I just thought what the heck and threw some in to try. The rodinal seems to bring me a very printable neg for silver geletin then almost stops development probally due to the double sided emulsion and the paper dev brings up my density for trying to print carbon. So far I have gotten good results with this combo and pretty even development so i'll probally just stick with it for now. The nice thing about the freezer bags are that I haven't scratched a neg doing it yet. Just make sure you blow some air in the bag before you close it up as this makes agitation much easier.
    Doug

Wait small plastic seperators that hold individual films , ok I am still impressed,

I only use freezer bags for developing xray film since it has double sided emulsion. I only put 1 sheet of xrayfilm per bag.i tried tray processing xray once and had very uneven development due to the ridges in the tray and loads of scratches. The emulsion is extremely soft. For regular film I tray process. There was a thread about 9 months ago where someone talked about the use of freezer bags for xray film.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Wait small plastic seperators that hold individual films , ok I am still impressed,
    +1

Very inovative