Thread: need help profiling my scanner!

need help profiling my scanner!

I’m looking for software that can profile the scanned targets that I made with the iQsmart2 scanner. I tried LProf in Linux Ubuntu and windows 7 and on both the LProf crashes as soon as I open the IT8 Target on the LProf!!!
    I also have Vuescan Professional from my older scanner days and it opens the IT8 Target scans but I can’t output the previewed target when I press Scan or make it as ICC profile!
    Can anyone suggest a program that would profile from the scanned target (I use MAC OSX) or linux and windows.

Regards,
    Mohammed

Re: need help profiling my scanner!

I profile my scans in Photoshop CS5 using the ACRCalibrator plug-in. I tried messing around with LProf and all that, but it was a PITA like you're discovering. Best to scan a target (I reserve one shot of my roll to take a shot of my ColorChecker target) with zero adjustments and maximum DR/color depth, then run the TIFF through ACR and ACR Calibrator. Works great!

Tech Support, Chromix, Inc.

The 3rd party profiling packages that do scanner profiling are Monaco Profiler, ProfileMaker, and you can get a scanner module for the i1Match software if you have an i1pro device. None of these would be very cheap to get into if you don't already have a reason to buy them. However, now that X-Rite has released i1Profiler, their older apps like these may be available for sale used from someone. There are also services that will do a scanner profile for you, including ours.
    http://www.colorforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=440
    Pat Herold
    CHROMiX Tech Support
    www.chromix.com

I really appreciate the info provided. Service is good but if I need to re-profile the scanner every few months or so, it comes really costly too!

How about the inCamera plug in from PictoColor? is it any good? I used to profile the scanner with vuescan and it did a good job but I can't get it to output the profile once I try to open the target from the iQsmart scan, even It shows in the profile in the preview window!