Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 150 and 210 lens angle of view

umop episdn

Re: 150 and 210 lens angle of view

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    Sincerely, I don't understand your problem. Wouldn't it be sufficient to make yourself a viewing frame and see any scene you like with whatever focal length you like? Or, what am I missing?
    Apologies, I believe there's been a little confusion as to my original posting.

When I started this thread what I had in mind were these photo groupings I had seen in years past for 35mm cameras where the manufacturer takes every lens in the arsenal and photographs the same scene with every single one. The end result is this grid layout of pictures going from ultrawide fisheye to supertelephoto where you can see visually how each lens differs.

The gist of my posting was that I was curious if someone had the same thing for large format lenses. I have a 150 and 400. I had some uncertainty and second thoughts that I'd find some vista on my trip where the 150 would be too wide and the 400 far too much. What I was asking myself and the forum was that with this lens pair (as in the 35mm lens example above), what would a good in-between focal length be?

Using engl's formula I made paper masks to go on the ground glass of my camera with the 150 lens mounted. Each mask simulated what a 210, 240 and 250 lens would look like. Turns out that with my 150 and 400 lens pair, a 210 is a bit too close to my 150 lens. I needed something longer than 210. What I've ended up with is a 240. Visually it's right in-between the 150 and 400.

Just a matter now to get it cleaned up and tested before I leave on the trip!

If you have a smartphone with a camera, download something like Viewfinder Pro. You enter all the lens sizes you want and it will show FOV outlines for each one.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rodriguez View Post
    If you have a smartphone with a camera, download something like Viewfinder Pro. You enter all the lens sizes you want and it will show FOV outlines for each one.
    Ok that app was $16.99 for an iPhone app! But I took the leap and I love it. It is actually exactly what I have wanted, to be able to shoot a scene (complete with GPS coordinates) and have my selection of frame lines present for later reference.

The only "bad" thing about it is really not the developers fault, lenses wider than 250mm on 8x10 would require a wide angle lens attachment to see the frame lines due to the fact that the iPhone's lens is basically a 29mm-ish equivalent.

So, many thanks for that pointer!