Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinkham Bi-Quality at Ebay today

Pinkham Bi-Quality at Ebay today

Proceed with caution. I think this is a fraudelent or hijacked auction. The lens shown is one I formally owned, # 113. Based on the "buy it now" message for $ 1500 and the "contact me before bidding" messages in the subject body, I believe there is something very fishy about this auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-P...item415ece2288

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Re: Pinkham Bi-Quality at Ebay today

It's definitely 100% phony. These ads pop up and get deleted quickly.

funkadelic

I agree.
    Notice how the "contact me..." part is a photo, not text. This will aid them in dodging Ebay's red flags by keeping these shady instructions out of searchable text.

been running that ad for a while. who ever wins it keep us posted....
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

1 day auction!
    How could anyone see this as a real listing?

retrogrouchy

It's probably a money-laundering operation. Common approach is to post an imaginary but valuable item for sale and have someone "buy" it and transfer the funds. Money from drugs or whatever is channeled through a couple of these transactions and suddenly it has a paper trail.

There is no lens, but I suspect that they don't actually want *you* to bid. The one-day thing is part of it, they want a narrow window in which only the right person (the other party to the laundering) will make the transaction.

I always thought that inactive/defunct sellers were the most targeted for this. But here is a seller in France who has 6978 items listed at the moment - so he probably doesn't have time to check his listings. Strangely enough, the "pinkham" listing doesn't appear to be in his long list of items for sale - at least not where is should be (time left).
    Because a e**y expert could explain why?

Gosh, I see that same set of images in fraudulent listings several times a week. They disappear usually within hours.

If you see such text, just report it with two clicks on the right side using "report item" as "fraudulent listing" to help to keep that place clean.

It is usually hijacked accounts where the owner had once clicked on a phishing email and gave away his password. That usually happens with pro listers having several hundreds of items listed, so that gets unnoticed.
    Klaus

http://www.macrolenses.de for macro and special lens info
    http://www.pbase.com/kds315/ for UV Images and lens/filter info
    http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/ my UV diary

I know for sure this is a fraudulent auction because that lens is one I sold some two years back and the description and photos were lifted and continue to pop up in these phoney listings. The lens is sitting on my kitchen table. Definitely avoid this listing and ones like it. Notice he states, Do not bid, this item available through buy it now only. You must contact him through his email address only, not through the eBay messaging system. This is because he has highjacked someone's eBay account. There are tons of red flags in this listing and ones like it. The only thing real is his email address for you to contact him so he can steal your money.

It's removed now. How hard would it be for E-Bay to do OCR on images posted in there auctions? It's not acceptable that it was up for so many hours before they did something IMO.